986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Need help please....panick mode. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51806-need-help-please-panick-mode.html)

TRPLBLK04 04-22-2014 06:23 PM

Need help please....panick mode.

First day at work in Arizona after transferring from Seattle. Battery light came on along with digital display: Warning: Battery/generator. seem start ok after several stops this afternoon. went by pep boys, said battery was fine and need alternator. they have one in stock at another location and i could pick up tomorrow. then ran up to local golf club in verado, and all sorts of displays....ABS failure, and another or two. I am assuming it realates to alternator? and battery is now....pretty dead and wont start. Can someone please give me a call, preferably member in Arizona area, would like to discuss on phone if not too much trouble......many thanks in advance, Scott 206 305-7510

driftguy 04-22-2014 06:36 PM

If you had multiple warning lights all occurring at once, pull your front engine cover off behind the seats and check the serpentine belt. It may have come off.

TRPLBLK04 04-22-2014 06:40 PM

Thanks driftguy........I will check in the morning.

Timco 04-22-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftguy (Post 397124)
If you had multiple warning lights all occurring at once, pull your front engine cover off behind the seats and check the serpentine belt. It may have come off.

Wouldn't the car overheat pretty quick? He said he drove it. (Water pump not turning)

Yes, under-volt or low battery does make the ABS light as well as others come on. Alternator is my guess. No serp belt would also mean no power steer.

Porsche9 04-22-2014 07:48 PM

Give Scott Mcllvain at Mcllvain Motors in Tempe. 480-968-2896.

He is reasonable at $80 hour plus he'll make sure you get the best price on a quality alternator. If you need to leave the car there he will also offer you a ride home.

If you go by Mcllvain's look me up as I work about a mile away from his shop.

mikehkang 04-22-2014 08:08 PM

Check the alternator

The Pep Boys are correct. I had the same "Christmas lights" come on the dash while driving and it was the alternator.

A brand new alternator for my 2001 base was $1,400 from a dealer.
I paid about $170 for a refurbished part from Autozone that came with a lifetime replacement policy. I am pretty sure Pep Boys has similar policy.
Replacing the alternator can be a DIY if you are inclined and have the tools.
I say get your hands dirty. ;)

tonycarreon 04-23-2014 05:50 AM

my alternator died a few years back while i was driving. at first it was just the battery light that came on, a few miles later the dash lit up like crazy. i replaced the alternator (by myself i might add) and it's been fine since.

dghii 04-23-2014 11:18 AM

Even better news....
I'll bet you don't need an alternator, just the voltage regulator that attaches to the back of the alternator.

1. Pull the alternator yourself, very easy, lots of DYI links.
2. Spin the shaft and check for bearing noise/play
3. Take your alternator to Pep boys or wherever and have them check it. Most likely it will report back as having bad diode(s).
4. Purchase a new voltage regulator ~$50) and replace (2 screws and a cable).
5. Either have it checked again prior to install, just in case you don't believe how cheap this repair is, or simply install and rock on!

tonycarreon 04-24-2014 06:34 AM

dg's right. most of the time the alternator's fine it's just the voltage regulator.

but that's not an easy part to get when you need it immediately (stuck far from home). most chains can get a re-manufactured alternator overnight.

if you can get the car home, you'll save a little money by just replacing the regulator $50 vs $400...

Fintro11 04-24-2014 08:58 AM

Save the old alternator if it is shot. You can have it rebuilt.

TRPLBLK04 04-29-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 397144)
Give Scott Mcllvain at Mcllvain Motors in Tempe. 480-968-2896.

He is reasonable at $80 hour plus he'll make sure you get the best price on a quality alternator. If you need to leave the car there he will also offer you a ride home.

If you go by Mcllvain's look me up as I work about a mile away from his shop.

Thanks Porsche9.....went with your guy and is well and back on he road :)

TRPLBLK04 04-29-2014 10:03 AM

Sorry for the late update all. Went wih Porsche9's guy in Tempe. A little more than would have liked to have paid but, with the time constraints and lack of tools (staying at bro's pad in Buckeye) till my wife joins me here and we find a place. Thanks again as always for the great advice......Cheers.

clickman 04-29-2014 11:22 AM

Check to see if your de-coupling pulley is working while the alternator is out. I discovered this accidentally when I had the alternator out for the voltage regulator.

Porsche9 04-29-2014 07:32 PM

Good to hear. What was the issue.

TRPLBLK04 05-03-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 398250)
Good to hear. What was the issue.

Bad Alt. Thanks again for the lead.