986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My back window is looking ghastly!!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51804-my-back-window-looking-ghastly.html)

polkfarmboy 04-22-2014 04:12 PM

My back window is looking ghastly!!!

Well here is the story, 3 weeks ago I went to a DIY car wash and when I rolled down the top the back window stitching ripped a little at the top. One other time I went to put the top down and it ripped more, went back to the same car wash today and it ripped again so now from the top and half way round each side leaving 50% stitched.

Is there a problem with these plastic windows in the sunlight getting warped or shrinking because it gets worse when I wash the car.

I need a fix for this and the car is a 99 so I may look into glass if you can use any years model of boxsters rear glass window.

rgriffin 04-22-2014 05:50 PM

I have a 2001. My top began ripping in small sections. I was able to sew small sections (extremely difficult) but finally had to give in...After a lot of research, I ended up having top replaced. You can't put a glass replacement in your top. It also is not feasible to replace the plastic window. You can have a new top with a glass window
Put on though. I paid 800 or so for top and installation with the plastic window.. I had to really shop around for that price. Good luck.

polkfarmboy 04-22-2014 05:55 PM

Sh$t RG!!! Do I really now need to buy a new top and from where would I get one?

dghii 04-22-2014 06:03 PM

Look on eBay. Vendors such as Auto tops Direct sell high quality Box tops.

polkfarmboy 04-22-2014 06:07 PM

I was just looking there and found ones with the heated glass for $450 shipped

rgriffin 04-22-2014 07:28 PM

I used auto tops direct. I had an upholstery shop install for a reasonable price. If u get the glass window, some repair shops will charge more labor per hour for all your future repairs, because it is harder to access engine bay. I got the plastic window... but I think glass window looks nicer.

Porsche9 04-22-2014 07:54 PM

Ghast! You put your car through the car wash. :confused:

Check out GAHH and do yourself a favor and spend a little extra to get a glass window. When I finally need a new top that's the rout I am going.

polkfarmboy 04-24-2014 12:39 PM

Hey Porsche9 it was a do it yourself with a pressure washer thingymabobykins. So is it then not a good idea to try install the new top by ones self?

Perfectlap 04-24-2014 12:54 PM

I use those DIY wash places too but they're hard to find. If I'm near one I pull in and blast the top for a good rinse and wash with Raggtopp cleanser which I keep in the trunk for spot-cleaning.

I would not tackle a top replacement. It's one of those things you'll learn to do but only do it once. Not worth the aggravation.

Interesting topic because I once ran into another Boxster guy at one of these DIY car washes and he'd just recently replaced the top himslef with a glass GAHH. It looked really nice and made my car look 10 years older in comparison. He offered to help me replace the top and even gave me his number. Which made me think it must not be too bad if you have two people that know what they're doing.
One guy alone doing it for the first time? better to spend the dough.

rdass623 04-24-2014 01:30 PM

having replaced the tops on both an alfa romeo spider and a Miata, there is more mystique than actual difficulty to replacing a top on a convertible. yes it will be a time consuming operation, but if you have the patience, it can be accomplished. the only thing I would have done differently when I replaced the tops was waited until the cooler months, august in New Orleans is hot, and each one was 8-10 hours.

rp17 04-24-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgriffin (Post 397142)
some repair shops will charge more labor per hour for all your future repairs, because it is harder to access engine bay.

I wish a Indy shop would tell me that. :barf:

polkfarmboy 04-24-2014 01:59 PM

So me and my wifes brother could accomplish this together? He is a mechanic but I am sure he has never done this kind of job on a semi truck lol.

Polaris 04-24-2014 05:25 PM

I just got done sewing in a new back vinyl window. Total parts cost was just under $80 including shipping for the parts.

Here's my write up: Click Here

I bought the parts at sailrite.com:
DOT approved vinyl: Click Here
Sewing Awl: Click Here

I Used regular heavy duty sewing machine needles in the sewing awl, and I used heavy gauge polyester thread (it's UV and outdoor weather safe).

TeamOxford 04-24-2014 08:29 PM

Great DIY project for those on a strict budget.

Thanks for posting; I'm sure it will be useful for present and future owners.

TO