986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tiptronic wontwont go into gear (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51775-tiptronic-wontwont-go-into-gear.html)

j911brick 04-21-2014 08:07 AM

Tiptronic wontwont go into gear

Im helping somebody out who just replaced his tiptronic transmission and now the new one wont go into any gear. The shifter is working, but it wont actually engage in gear. Just does nothing. The only thing I can think of is the torque converter was installed incorrectly. Fluid level and filter have been checked.

Is there a way to check pressure with the trans in the car?

j911brick 04-22-2014 10:46 PM

Turns out the torque converter was actually installed incorrectly and broke the tabs on the pump drive gear. Only solution is (another) transmission.

Nine8Six 04-22-2014 10:58 PM

No way. Can't believe you can't get it rebuild by anyone? Nobody knows about the tip where you are? I'd check with a few Pcar indy in your location before going with the full replacement option

healthservices 04-23-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j911brick (Post 397164)
Turns out the torque converter was actually installed incorrectly and broke the tabs on the pump drive gear. Only solution is (another) transmission.

Front pumps can be replaced and the tranny parts are fairly common as they are shared with the Mercedes and Audi. The problem is you have to remove everything inside the trans to get to the pump assembly

:(

tightbox 04-23-2014 10:09 AM

Torque Converter - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

Project 5HP19 Transmission: Oil Pump and C clutch - E46Fanatics

j911brick 04-23-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 397167)
No way. Can't believe you can't get it rebuild by anyone? Nobody knows about the tip where you are? I'd check with a few Pcar indy in your location before going with the full replacement option

No local indi shop will touch it and the cost of a rebuild exceeds just buying a another used one by a long shot.

j911brick 04-23-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 397228)
Front pumps can be replaced and the tranny parts are fairly common as they are shared with the Mercedes and Audi. The problem is you have to remove everything inside the trans to get to the pump assembly

:(

That is what I hear and I don't know if I want to go down that road on somebody eles' car which I will be responsible for. I would rather he buy another trans and if it doesn't work its on him.

j911brick 04-23-2014 02:03 PM

THanks for the tip. Lots of good information.