986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Track Day Video (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51752-track-day-video.html)

RandallNeighbour 04-20-2014 06:29 PM

Track Day Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYfSD2rz9KU&feature=youtu.be

This is a 3 lap video of my instructor driving my base boxster. Holy crap he drove my car fast around this 2.9 mile track!

I certainly have a lot of room for growth.

BIGJake111 04-20-2014 07:19 PM

Thank you for sharing... makes me really want somewhere safe to do this... the temptation is getting strong.

jb92563 04-20-2014 08:16 PM

Nice.

Its always amazing and inspiring to let an instructor drive your car and show you what it is capable of.

Then it becomes clear that most of the work is learning the driving skills and your car.

Porsche9 04-20-2014 09:41 PM

Looks like pretty fast track. Video usually makes it hard to tell the real speed but I could definitely tell you were getting up there.

My last track day at Bondurant's west track the instructor took me out in his 996 GT3 and I could not stopping laughing/smiling. He took the car so hard into the corners I thought we would not make it on a couple of the turns. :)

coreseller 04-21-2014 04:18 AM

"I don't like to throttle steer".....I think I really heard you say "I don't like to ******************** my pants" lol.

Learning how to really drive fast makes you do a lot of things that are pretty counterintuitive to what we think we / the car can do. We all think we are great drivers......until a great driver takes the reigns and humbles us, it's happened to me also lol..........:cheers:

Nine8Six 04-21-2014 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 396756)
until a great driver takes the reigns and humbles us, it's happened to me also lol

that happened to me, in a 996tt sadly. I wanted to die feeling and promise myself to NEVER NEVER do this again in my entire life man. Scared to death

Love for the 2.5l f.o.r.e.v.e.r.

Topless 04-21-2014 06:45 AM

Smooth fast laps... The guy is good! Thanks for sharing Randall. TWS looks like a very fast track with few deep braking zones and no tight corners.

Perfectlap 04-21-2014 07:18 AM

Man that's some banking. Between that and the bumpy road does the tech inspection check if tire load ratings are within tolerance?

thstone 04-21-2014 08:29 AM

Where is your video? That is what I want to see! :)

The only other thing that I'll mention is that I've never allowed an instructor to drive my car on a track and I have never driven someone else's car - for me its too risky. Accidents have happened under these circumstances and no one goes home happy. Instead, I'll ride in their car while they drive or have a student ride along with me in my car.

Topless 04-21-2014 08:42 AM

Hey Stone, CVR 1st weekend in May. Bernath and McDuff are in. Can Tommy come out and play? More BBQ beer and blues Sat night. :)

Perfectlap 04-21-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 396793)
I'll ride in their car while they drive or have a student ride along with me in my car.

I like the latter idea better.

After Sean Edwards (son of F1/LM Guy Edwards) died as a passenger/instructor with an experienced amateur behind the wheel I have wonder why take the risk at all.

RandallNeighbour 04-21-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 396793)
Where is your video? That is what I want to see! :)

The only other thing that I'll mention is that I've never allowed an instructor to drive my car on a track and I have never driven someone else's car - for me its too risky. Accidents have happened under these circumstances and no one goes home happy. Instead, I'll ride in their car while they drive or have a student ride along with me in my car.

This instructor's car was a single seater SCCA race car. So, he could not take me for a ride in his car. All my other instructors have taken me out in their cars.

It is indeed risky... but considering I went off track twice the day before, I figured the car was already taking a beating!!!

thstone 04-21-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 396799)
... but considering I went off track twice the day before...

This is the video we want to see! :)

tonycarreon 04-21-2014 09:44 AM

Q: did you or the instructor take air out of the tires? what were they before/after?
Q: explain "notchy"? same as twitchy / prone to oversteer?

i ask because i keep my pressures higher than factory spec and prefer oversteer to understeer.

Porsche Chick 04-21-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 396709)
Thank you for sharing... makes me really want somewhere safe to do this... the temptation is getting strong.

Oh, just go autocrossing, I've done it, and I'm a girl. ;)

I bet if you google you'll find a club or group in your area.

Burg Boxster 04-21-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon (Post 396804)
Q: did you or the instructor take air out of the tires? what were they before/after?
Q: explain "notchy"? same as twitchy / prone to oversteer?

i ask because i keep my pressures higher than factory spec and prefer oversteer to understeer.

For a DE?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You must be one hell of a driver :rolleyes:

tonycarreon 04-21-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 396813)
For a DE?

You must be one hell of a driver :rolleyes:

lol. sorry should have clarified. not for DE / AX. just wondering what i would expect.