986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Somebody stole my hood badge! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51690-somebody-stole-my-hood-badge.html)

Perfectlap 04-16-2014 07:36 PM

Somebody stole my hood badge!

My hood badge has disappeared. While looking for a replacement I came across this:

Silver Hood Crest Chrome Emblem Porsche 911 996 997 986 987 Hood Trunk Badge | eBay

might want to jump on it, only 3 left.

Timco 04-16-2014 07:42 PM

Do they just pop off? Any hood damage?

Hate hearing these things happen to good folks.....

BIGJake111 04-16-2014 07:45 PM

So sorry to hear, what good even is there for stealing one, i mean what can you do with it. I hate that people can not have nice things in this world! Sigh hope you get a new one, i do like our badges much more than the new ones which just seem less, crafted. Idk if that is the right adjective.

Ckrikos 04-16-2014 07:46 PM

Where did it get stolen? Mine was loose, when I tried tightening it, the badge fell off. I used some epoxy on the two arms and now it is not going anywhere.

Perfectlap 04-16-2014 07:47 PM

Might have just come off on the highway. The hardware and gasket(partially) are still attached.

Those silver hood crests are usually $140 before shipping. So those Ebay badges could be a good pick up.
But I still need a new gasket. Might have to DIY.

particlewave 04-16-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 396058)
Might have just come off on the highway. The hardware and gasket(partially) are still attached.

Those silver hood crests are usually $140 before shipping. So those Ebay badges could be a good pick up.

Black foam rubber sheets in the paper aisle, usually by craft stuff like construction paper ;)

tomonomics 04-17-2014 04:50 AM

Be careful with any repainted badges. I picked up a brushed titanium refinished OEM badge, and had to send it back twice due to very poor painting and quality. The picture in the Ebay ad you linked shows lots of extra black paint, and that's likely the best one of the bunch that they took a picture of.

You may also want to clear-coat it....even after getting a good crest this is a before/after of what happened to mine after only ~3k miles.

-T

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1397738984.jpg

(actually its an 'after/before' shot!)

Mark_T 04-17-2014 05:31 AM

Quote:

Mine blew off on the highway. I actually saw it go.

Pirate50 04-17-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Automotion sells the gasket & nuts for pretty cheap separately. I bought them when I purchased a crest off eBay myself. Some of those crests are really nice considering they aren't OEM.

Nine8Six 04-17-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 396050)
My hood badge has disappeared. While looking for a replacement I came across this:

Silver Hood Crest Chrome Emblem Porsche 911 996 997 986 987 Hood Trunk Badge | eBay

might want to jump on it, only 3 left.

I've just finished CNC'ing a front grille badge in "pure gold" for my mate's Maserati GT show car (not a DD!). Cheap cheap mate.... $1,400 and you get to keep the machining chips (dust) as souvenir

Are you game PL? Got the 3D model ready here for you if you decide to invest on your hood a little ;)

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/pl1397804902.jpg

Mark_T 04-18-2014 04:45 AM

Here's the replacement I bought:

(New) Hood Crest with Maroon Bars and Black Filled Porsche Script - 19 | Aase Sales Porsche Parts Center

Looks fine and the price is right

steved0x 04-18-2014 05:09 AM

A lot (well relatively) on Rennlist seem to be using these:

Porsche Refinished Silver Cerakote Semi Flat Hood Crest Emblem Badge | eBay

The last few on eBay haven't sold so you could probably get one for $99. if you have a ciore to exchange I think you get $25 back. My boxster is Ocean Blue and my steering wheel airbag emblem is silver, so I am thinking about getting one. I really like the brushed nickel one (not shown in this auction) but it is more expensive...

Steve

Perfectlap 04-18-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate50 (Post 396230)
Automotion sells the gasket & nuts for pretty cheap separately. I bought them when I purchased a crest off eBay myself. Some of those crests are really nice considering they aren't OEM.

nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 396245)
I've just finished CNC'ing a front grille badge in "pure gold" for my mate's Maserati GT show car (not a DD!). Cheap cheap mate.... $1,400 and you get to keep the machining chips (dust) as souvenir

Are you game PL? Got the 3D model ready here for you if you decide to invest on your hood a little ;)

I could do white gold or platinum. But we would have to figure out a way to electrify it in case of theft. Or perhaps rig it to an exploding dye pack.
This would easily exceed the cost of my first car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 396256)

That price is sweet. But I'm not partial to gold anything. I've been wanting to switch to a silver crest (like on the steering wheel) for some time but I'm a cheap skate sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 396259)
A lot (well relatively) on Rennlist seem to be using these:

Porsche Refinished Silver Cerakote Semi Flat Hood Crest Emblem Badge | eBay

The last few on eBay haven't sold so you could probably get one for $99. if you have a ciore to exchange I think you get $25 back. My boxster is Ocean Blue and my steering wheel airbag emblem is silver, so I am thinking about getting one. I really like the brushed nickel one (not shown in this auction) but it is more expensive...

Steve

Yeah that would look nice on a dark colored car for sure. On a lighter color car I think I'd want some of the red bars in there at least.

Nine8Six 04-18-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 396300)
I could do white gold or platinum. But we would have to figure out a way to electrify it in case of theft. Or perhaps rig it to an exploding dye pack. This would easily exceed the cost of my first car.

Last time I ran Platinum in the machines here, it was for a TAG watch casing. The stuff was 30% more expansive than 99.9 gold 2-3 years ago. Should be even more today as it gets rarer I recently heard. Go figure why.

Didn't know there was a market for custom colored hood P emblems. Fascinating... might have to cnc a few dozens in anodized 6061 aluminum and compete on that :p

Perfectlap 04-18-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 396304)

Didn't know there was a market for custom colored hood P emblems. Fascinating... might have to cnc a few dozens in anodized 6061 aluminum and compete on that :p

One in Titanium 6/4 please. have to keep weight down you know. ;)

Nine8Six 04-18-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 396311)
One in Titanium 6/4 please. have to keep weight down you know. ;)

At the Chinese GP all weekend and prepping/leaving for Motogp in Spain on the 24th. I should have a few ready in 30-45days min.

TI. They'll be in Grade 2 (commercial). I don't put anything else other than gr2 under the hydraulic press anymore (hurts too bad when that stuff 'pings' in your face). e.g. they need to be profiled with a die. I'll laser cut a few gaskets that goes with them

Look for them! TI is cheap here lol

Perfectlap 04-18-2014 09:30 AM

Dude you're the like Thomas Edison of car ideas. I want your job!!

Davev 04-18-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 396245)

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/pl1397804902.jpg

I would be pissed if my solid gold badge fell off on the hiway :eek:

Nine8Six 04-18-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 396318)
Dude you're the like Thomas Edison of car ideas. I want your job!!

Shines bright like a diamond. Unicorns, rainbows and all that

yea man, that's right. living is great

tc