986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New rear window (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51664-new-rear-window.html)

kiyakubuke 04-14-2014 05:51 PM

New rear window

just had the rear plastic window replaced (firs coverable I have had with a plastic window). It seems that the new window is attracting dirt and pollen like a magnet, I'm thinking static.
Anyone had similar issue with a new top? is this just par for the course for plastic windows, something that will go away after a while or is there a fix?

John Bergen 04-15-2014 12:40 PM

Try the convertible vinyl top spray restorer. I use it on my vinyl back window since it is old but it also might eliminate your issues.

RandallNeighbour 04-15-2014 01:05 PM

Plexus, my friend. Plexus.

Cleans, protects, fills in fine scratches, and eliminates static cling.

Troy.Boxster 04-19-2014 02:38 PM

I bought Plexus after reading some reviews and such. It is a great product that really made a difference. My rear window was only a couple months old but was already looking a bit old (mostly because I was afraid to work too hard to clean it without scratching it). After using the Plexus, it looked brand new again and I was amazed at how well it worked. It seemed a bit expensive, but is totally worth it, imho!

Top_Ramen 04-19-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiyakubuke (Post 395722)
just had the rear plastic window replaced (firs coverable I have had with a plastic window). It seems that the new window is attracting dirt and pollen like a magnet, I'm thinking static.
Anyone had similar issue with a new top? is this just par for the course for plastic windows, something that will go away after a while or is there a fix?

how much does this cost part and labor?

kiyakubuke 04-19-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all_mota (Post 396538)
how much does this cost part and labor?

not sure. it was part of repairs I negotiated for when I bought the car. I have heard they run about $500. they have to take the roof off to remove the old one and sew on the new one. by the time it needs replacing again I will just upgrade to the glass.

Allen K. Littlefield 04-20-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiyakubuke (Post 395722)

Also 210 is a great product and I use it with great success on my plastic rear window. Cleans, polishes and anti-static. Wife bought it for her plexiglass that covers her artwork. I use it regularly on headlights and back window. Check out: Summer Laboratories, inc. Summerlabs.com Order desk phone # is: 800-542-8656
I also use it to clean my light weight eyeglasses and it keeps them crystal clean and has not EVER scratched them. :cheers:

AKL

BIGJake111 04-20-2014 09:47 AM

I really love the smaller glass rear widow, while it constricts view it looks and reminds me of a 356 convertible with the top up

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk