Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 03:56 AM   #1

So I have the use of a 2014 Cayman this weekend...

Last year at the annual Photofest for CVR I won't the raffle for use of wither a Boxster or Cayman for the weekend. Having a 99 Boxster I went with the Cayman. Here is the link for the one I got:
2014 Cayman

So for my feelings on the car vs my 99...
The PDK is certainly something I could get used to quickly...very fun and I don't really miss the sick when I can concentrate more on the corners. I left it in sport mode most of the time as I just don't see the value of running the economy unless you are doing long highway stints. This one does have the auto-engine-off feature which was neat to see how it worked, then the fad passed.

Electric Steering: Well I barely could tell a difference so I'm all for it as long as you don't have a massive electrical failure.

Electronic e-brake: May I please have a real one back?

Power: I know this is only .2 liters larger than my 99 but several generations newer so you would think I would be more impressed. I don't know if it is because I drive the 99 a lot and maintain it well with Motul oil, etc but I wasn't floored by having 275 vs 200hp. I guess this would show more on the top end than the bottom. Maybe I'll notice more when I get back in the Boxster. Now I understand why the S is so much more a big deal. If you are going to step up then go for the bigger engine.

Handling: All this made me realize is it is time to refresh mine as it is original and has 135k on it. I have changed drop-links a couple years ago but maybe it is M030 time.

Anyways I've got one more day with it so off to the UCONN car show.

Chris

Old 04-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #2

Cayman is 3.4 liters vs your 2.5...also 325HP vs your 200. I think you could tell the difference?
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #3

No it is only a 2.7. I didn't say I had an S but that if you were to move up better off with the S.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #4

Garage
Sounds like great fun! I do feel they went a little bit too modern on the new ones. Biggest thing I don't like is the dash and the overall squareness of the car. I guess I just prefer the boxster as a mid engine 911 instead of a separate model haha. As for the power difference if I am not right I believe the new cars are fairly heavier possibly pulling from the feelings of speed. Great cars though, as long as I have a 986 as well I'd sure love to own one.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #5

Garage
You may not notice the power really because the curb weight as well. Sure it has more ponies but it also has more lbs.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #6

Ya it is a little heavier. The torque isn't a ton more so maybe that's why. It is a pretty sweet car so if you were just interested in a more modern setup or it was your first one the in is a winner. If I had the money I'd get an S for sure. However I'd also probably something race ready but that's what my 87 944s will become.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #7

I am a big fan of the new Cayman.

The PDK though is much better suited to the S. I found the base model with the PDK to be somewhat flat. The base was much better with the manual.

At some point, I will probably get the manual with an S or more likely the upcoming GTS..

/
Old 04-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #8

big difference between the standard 981 and the S.

Seems to be part of their upselling strategy.
If you want to get close to the 991, you have to pony up.

And no Boxster/Cayman has ever (been allowed) to get this close.

Now just wait until you take a spin in the BGB 3.8L Cayman. That's the car the 911 should be.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote