986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Oil level indicator (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51551-oil-level-indicator.html)

kindlethespirit 04-08-2014 03:35 AM

Oil level indicator

Recently I had the IMS, RMS, AOS, flywheel, clutch, rear CV axles and oil changed by my local Pcar indy shop.

The oil indicator level on the dash has always agreed with the dipstick in the past. Since I've had the car back, 4 days, the two no longer agree.

Several times I've turned the key and waited for the oil level on the dash to display and it's been showing 1 bar above the lowest level possible. I immediately check the dipstick and it shows that the oil is right at the top notch on the dipstick, so it's fine. Once I drive it and the oil is hot, when I shut the car off and wait for the indicator to retest, it will show 2 bars below the highest level.

What could have changed with the above service that now my dash indicator is so inaccurate? It makes me nervous to not be able to rely any longer on that as a general idea of the amount of oil that is in the car.

Yes, the car is on the level when measuring the oil.

recycledsixtie 04-08-2014 04:43 AM

I am sure others will chime in but I would trust the dipstick over the guage. The dipstick shows full on my Box but the guage shows one bar over.
Guy.:)

kindlethespirit 04-08-2014 05:07 AM

I'll definitely trust the dipstick. I'm just wondering if something may have been damaged that the oil indicator is no long accurate. I'd like to fix that if it's the case.

Lobo1186 04-08-2014 05:11 AM

I vaguely remember (against all logic) that the gauge is more accurate than the stick. ill cruise around the forum see if I can find that.

kindlethespirit 04-08-2014 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobo1186 (Post 394775)
I vaguely remember (against all logic) that the gauge is more accurate than the stick. ill cruise around the forum see if I can find that.

Thank you. They just did the oil change a few hundred miles ago and put in 9.5 quarts, so not sure what is going on.

cas951 04-08-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kindlethespirit (Post 394776)
Thank you. They just did the oil change a few hundred miles ago and put in 9.5 quarts, so not sure what is going on.

I think 9.5 qts is a little too much. I would suggest you drain some. Check your manual to see what your capacity is. Overfilled oil causes AOS failures.

Lobo1186 04-08-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kindlethespirit (Post 394776)

After looking around the forum. (and a trip to DC for some lunch) it seems that both are a bit on the unreliable side.

I know for my car it always seems like there is some play with the dipstick so I never truly know how accurate it is.

Eric G 04-08-2014 10:57 AM

Oil capacity is 8.7 and you want to add at least 1/2 quart for the oil filter so 9.5 is not to much. That is what I run in my 98. As for not matching with the electronics...mine is the same way. Follow the dipstick and you will be fine.

Note: if you are above full on the stick you have overfilled and these engines don't like excess oil.

cas951 04-08-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric G (Post 394833)
Oil capacity is 8.7 and you want to add at least 1/2 quart for the oil filter so 9.5 is not to much. That is what I run in my 98. As for not matching with the electronics...mine is the same way. Follow the dipstick and you will be fine.

Note: if you are above full on the stick you have overfilled and these engines don't like excess oil.

I've seen it too many times to agree with this mand experienced it myself first hand.