Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

When I was a kid, it was cow tipping...

Fourth Smart car found flipped in Bernal Heights | www.ktvu.com

SAN FRANCISCO — Police in San Francisco are investigating why vandals in black hooded sweatshirts flipped four Smart cars on Monday in San Francisco's Bernal Heights and Excelsior neighborhoods.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #2

Garage
That's pretty funny right there.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #3

Vandalism by a bunch of city thug wannabes to your property isn't really all that funny.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #4

Garage
I laughed when I saw this on the news. Then I imagined the perps saying to themselves 'why? Because we can!' Good thing my Porsche is heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #5

People in San Francisco once protested in favor of smaller more fuel-efficient cars and increased use of mass transit. Now they protest against Google busses and engage in Smart car tipping.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #6
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Totally uncool move. You screw up someones property and put them out like this...that very act might be the only buffer they have between fiscal solvency and not.

It is so easy to forget that these acts have real people on the other side who did not ask for this to happen to them.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:53 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
Vandalism by a bunch of city thug wannabes to your property isn't really all that funny.
Every car I have owned at one point or another has been vandalized. I empathize with the owners. Still, it is pretty funny. If we got a point in this country where the worst a bunch of "thugs" would do is flip a bunch of smart cars... I would not mind it.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #8

If all my cars were armored vehicles, I might be able to laugh at it.
But I got a Boxster with a soft top.
Not funny to me.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #9

so when you were tipping these cows, how did the cows get back up after?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
If all my cars were armored vehicles, I might be able to laugh at it.
But I got a Boxster with a soft top.
Not funny to me.
Nope.

Nobody would be laughing if some punk kids flipped their boxster.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #11

I think this is evolution in progress that we are witnessing.

The "Smart" cars need to take evasive or defensive action on their own and should they be damaged they need to self heal.

I think the next "Smart" car will be the "Turtle" so it can retract all its delicate bits out of harms way into the armoured shell and be able to right itself after being overturned.

The next model up of the "Turtle" will be the "Ninja Turtle" and will get the properties that allow Defensive and Offensive reactions to threats.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Beginner

Garage
Kids nowadays, can't live with them, can't shoot them. Oh wait, I'm in Texas, you CAN shoot them. In fact many Texans would consider it your civic duty. Best to be careful around other people's property in Texas or you stand to get ventilated, and that is just fine by me.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Kids nowadays, can't live with them, can't shoot them. Oh wait, I'm in Texas, you CAN shoot them. In fact many Texans would consider it your civic duty. Best to be careful around other people's property in Texas or you stand to get ventilated, and that is just fine by me.
I guess that might be one reason why this is happening in SF, California and not Texas. That and it takes quite a few people to flip over a Ford 450 dually with the extra extended cab and long bed.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #14

Some of you guys needs to be a bit (more) cool I think lol

Com'on those vandals are simply kids/teens that have nothing to do. Try to remember what you were doing when you had their age.... unless you were the type that had no mates and called weirdo. I was a nasty kid if my memory is good, tricks on neighbors, we were going to public areas "just" to make trouble, polishing our skateboards on some of the best city infrastructure... man and I pass tons of other stupid tricks we've done - simply to see those older people's face.

e.g. fresh dog poop wrapped/hidden in paper, placing the package on the neighbor's porch, setting it on fire, knocking the door and RUN. Hiding in the bush waiting for the guy to tap the fire out with his feet... dog poo flying up to his knees. Man I miss those nasty kid years a lot.....

As for this particular SF adventure.... as long as they do not hurt anyone then I am kinda cool with that actually. Yeah FUNNY! (sorry) Hurray for insurance co.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
.... as long as they do not hurt anyone then I am kinda cool with that actually. Yeah FUNNY!
Yeah, totally cool. Tough sh^t for the owner, but way cool. Maybe next they could break some windows, or burn down a church, or set a homeless guy on fire. Ya know, FUNNY in an ironic kinda way.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Yeah, totally cool. Tough sh^t for the owner, but way cool. Maybe next they could break some windows, or burn down a church, or set a homeless guy on fire. Ya know, FUNNY in an ironic kinda way.
No where near as wrong as lighting people on fire or burning down buildings. Certain risks come with things we own. If you park a convertible with the top down d-bags like to throw things into the car, if you have a truck people put trash in your bed. if you have a car that weighs 1600lbs a couple of guys who are still pumped from their leg day workout might be tempted to flip it over. Life happens, in this case it is in the funny hi-jinx category.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #17

geeez..... black on white ideas about burning religious bldg., setting less fortunate people on fire, free killing of bored youngsters in Texas...etc. mannnn dunno what to say

and all that time I was convinced to be worst evil kid on the planet for setting dog poop on fire. It was flying everywhere right up to his knees....... still feeling bad about this today. And this kid who flipped those silly/fuggly looking cars will feel the same way in a few years I'm sure. Life is happening for real indeed.

and no-no burning people and shooting little kids ideas on this forum anymore please. Nightmare sh&t hrrrrr
Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 AM   #18

Garage
Just for the record, I hate Smart cars; I just find little humor in this. Those who think it's "funny" or "hijinx" would, I'm guessing, be slightly less philosophical about things if their Boxster was turned over - or keyed - or otherwise damaged by a few kids. This is destruction of private property, plain and simple.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #19
Beginner

Garage
Wow, really scary attitudes being shown here. It's funny to destroy property as long as its not mine. A high five to those "children" who are flipping over cars. That's not very far from setting things on fire by the way. Or doing worse. It's all good just so long as its not my pretty paint or pretty headlights. If somebody else gets screwed, well that's not my problem, in fact it's funny. Really? And you sleep well at night? Man I'm glad I don't think that way. If you do think that way, you might try a little compassion for hthe innocent folks being hurt, and work on deterring those doing the hurting. Or is that a bit soft for you?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Just for the record, I hate Smart cars; I just find little humor in this. Those who think it's "funny" or "hijinx" would, I'm guessing, be slightly less philosophical about things if their Boxster was turned over - or keyed - or otherwise damaged by a few kids. This is destruction of private property, plain and simple.
As said earlier, every single one of my vehicles has been vandalized at one time or another. This includes my Boxster. Of course I personally would not be "oh thank God they broke my windows and keyed my paint those darned kids! They got me good this time!"

That being said, life happens and while in the moment it may make you angry, if some kids flipped my car in a few years it would make a great story to tell friends while drinking. (keying, tire popping and the like not every exotic on the shenanigans scale... car flipping however.) The real losses here will be soaked up by insurance and life will inevitably go on.