986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Noticed about the used car market..... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51537-noticed-about-used-car-market.html)

recycledsixtie 04-07-2014 05:27 AM

Noticed about the used car market.....

Perhaps it is early but I have noticed on Kijiji and auto trader there are a lot less used Porsches for sale. There are 3 Boxsters for sale in the Autotrader in acceptable the price range of $23k or less in the Edm. area.

Walking around the Porsche dealership the oldest Box for sale was a 2007.

I would like to conclude from this prices of older Boxsters are firming up?!
Prospective Boxster buyers are going to have to be patient to get a good one.

It seems like previous years there were a lot more used Boxsters available....
G.

thstone 04-07-2014 05:36 AM

Maybe Boxster's are harder to come by up north but here in LA they are still a dime a dozen. More than 25 Boxsters listed on Craigslist for under $12K. The two examples below give a good idea of the current range of price vs mileage in LA. Of course, a newer model or an S will cost more but many people are just looking to get into the Porsche game and the price of entry is pretty darn low.

1997 Boxster, 110K miles, clean title, clean car - $6500.

Porsche BOXSTER $6500

1999 Boxster 44K miles for $12K!

1999 Porsche boxster, Clean title with 44,xxx miles!

crod 04-07-2014 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 394600)
Maybe Boxster's are harder to come by up north but here in LA they are still a dime a dozen. More than 25 Boxsters listed on Craigslist for under $12K. The two examples below give a good idea of the current range of price vs mileage in LA. Of course, a newer model or an S will cost more but many people are just looking to get into the Porsche game and the price of entry is pretty darn low.

1997 Boxster, 110K miles, clean title, clean car - $6500.

Porsche BOXSTER $6500

1999 Boxster 44K miles for $12K!

1999 Porsche boxster, Clean title with 44,xxx miles!

No comparison between the US and Canada markets. Way more cars and selection available in the US due to 10X the population.
One thing I did notice is prices seem to be holding up very well for the used ones and I would say even a little higher. I paid $17,900 for my 2001 Boxster S with 56,000 miles four years ago. From the prices posted and the ones I can find, it seems it is getting a little more expensive for good used ones. Or am I mistaken?
Oh here in Canada, add at least 20% on top of the US prices. Now with the US dollar a bit stronger, I would say 30% is more realistic.

CR

Steve Tinker 04-07-2014 02:14 PM

So if anybody in the US or Canada was looking specifically for a good low mileage S model, what would the premium be over a base model, everything else being equal ??

j.fro 04-07-2014 04:00 PM

The air-cooled market is definitely climbing. Last year I was shopping 964 C4 cars in the 15-18k range. They're all over 20k this year. The 968 and 944 turbo markets seem pretty strong, too. Can't help but feel that 986es may be coming around.

BIGJake111 04-07-2014 05:06 PM

I feel the real era cut off for Porsche isnt actually the 9X6 cars and maybe not even the 9X7.... but with the new screens in the dials, posh interior and such of the 9X1 and even the cars shutting off at red lights.... Our cars are still pre GT/luxury Porsche. Porsche makes great cars today but they are a different breed... once the 4 cylinder boxster comes out next go around with either turbos or electric attracted to it they split in species will be complete.

There is Pre-911 Porsche. Then there is Air cooled Porsche.. Then there will be the water cooled analog cars. Then the modern Porsches with electrics out the wazoo and so forth.

With 986s being as cheap as they are now, expect many to be brought far from stock or wrecked, people treat the 2.5 cars as nothing right now, buy one and make it a track car, buy another and dump a 3.7 in it. Buy one more for good measure and beat the heck out of it, not to mention so many died from IMS and maybe people buy them cheap and can not care for the maintenance causing the cars to rot in yards.... I do not condone any of these and would like to do a fair share myself, but really not THAT many 986s were made, with less and less around and it being the start of the analog watercolor cars, the begging of the end of sports car only Porsche, a modern representation of the 550 and 718, and lastly the begging of a legacy for a car that is no longer "a girls car" many people would say that the 981 is Porsches true sports car with the 991 being a status symbol, louis vaton holder. I don't think 986s should currently go for more than 15k unless its a low miles S, but give the car a bit of time. Our cars may not appreciate alot but we are at the bottom of the curve now, 5 years and they will be up a few grand, 10 years anywhere from still a few to being up 20 from what the respected car is worth today.