986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Replacing low beam bulb (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51465-replacing-low-beam-bulb.html)

mnc-i 04-02-2014 10:02 AM

Replacing low beam bulb

The driver's side low beam headlight bulb went out on my 99 Boxster.

I am wondering do I go with H4, 55/60W Hella bulbs or go to the parts store and find H7, 55W bulbs?

My owner's manual (on page 156) states H7, 55W as the replacement bulb for the high beam and the low beam.

I searched Pelican parts and they are offering H4, 55W/60W Hella bulbs high beam & low beam (stock # 999-631-034-90-M44) for a 99 Boxster

I've done a search of headlight threads on the forum.

One last question, do you all recommend that I switch out both low beam bulbs (failed driver's side and also the passenger side)?

Thanks
MNC-I

Nine8Six 04-02-2014 10:15 AM

Yea, owner's manual (on page 156) mate. Its a good book believe me

Pellican should also have your bosch 55wH7 in stock. Give them a call

chg both for a match.... different manufacturers diiffirent temp different colors

Trey T 04-02-2014 10:36 AM

H4 is both low and high beam bulb- wrong bulb. You need to stick w/ H7. H4 base is larger than H7 and wrong terminal.

Why don't not go w/ aftermarket HID kit? I ordered a set for my friend and installed on his car (retrofitted w/ projectors) and it last about a year or more. I think it's even cheaper than using some of halogen bulbs.

go w/ 4300K or 5000K (my favorite color temp; white color). anything else just look like a ricer!

silver-S 04-02-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 393920)
Yea, owner's manual (on page 156) mate. Its a good book believe me

Unfortunately, a lot of 986s don't come with an owner's manual these days, for some reason, so they're ridiculously expensive on, for example, eBay.

Nine8Six 04-02-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver-S (Post 393931)
Unfortunately, a lot of 986s don't come with an owner's manual these days, for some reason, so they're ridiculously expensive on, for example, eBay.

Surely you can google the keywords and find/dwload it in PDF format for your (any) vehicle MY & type. The pricey ones are for dudes that needs the book to sell the car eventually, or for collectibles.... who knows how much those worth these days ;)

DennisAN 04-02-2014 11:39 AM

WalMart sells bulbs as cheap as anyone.

lkchris 04-02-2014 11:51 AM

H4 bulb won't fit where an H7 is specified.

Wiring connector for H7 bulb won't connect to an H4 bulb.

You never had a choice.

mnc-i 04-02-2014 11:58 AM

ALCON,

Here is the rest of the story.

I purchased Sylvania Xtravision H7, 55W. It was a package of two for $29.99.

Unfortunately, as I was attempting to replace the headlamp unit I must have broken the plastic frame that holds the electrical connector attached to the car.

Right now I have no power to the driver's side headlamp assembly. The connector moves back, so I believe it will not connect to the electrical connector on the headlamp unit.

Tomorrow, I will go to my independent mechanic in Austin for help. Or maybe I will drive up to the dealer and plead for mercy, "I'm sorry. I attempted to work on my car. Can you help me, please?"

This is a royal pain in the backside!

MNC-I

Tomikaze 04-12-2024 12:47 PM

I feel for you. I just broke the same connector. The plastic is getting brittle on these old birds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnc-i (Post 393955)
ALCON,

Here is the rest of the story.

I purchased Sylvania Xtravision H7, 55W. It was a package of two for $29.99.

Unfortunately, as I was attempting to replace the headlamp unit I must have broken the plastic frame that holds the electrical connector attached to the car.

Right now I have no power to the driver's side headlamp assembly. The connector moves back, so I believe it will not connect to the electrical connector on the headlamp unit.

Tomorrow, I will go to my independent mechanic in Austin for help. Or maybe I will drive up to the dealer and plead for mercy, "I'm sorry. I attempted to work on my car. Can you help me, please?"

This is a royal pain in the backside!

MNC-I

Beelzy 04-12-2024 06:45 PM

Double check and make sure the little c shaped clip that holds the bracket didn't simply come loose.
Had the same issue recently and it was the clip.

elav 04-13-2024 11:24 AM

If the support is broken, pull the connector out of the support and connect it to the light before installing it. This is a cheap fix and you don't need to go to the mechanic.