Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #1

987 switch fit 986

I'm looking for a switch to turn on/off my SOULL exhaust, just do not like the remote. I have found a PSE switch on Pelican Parts but it states it is for 2005. Will it fit 2004?

gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Into a switch blank? Not if it starts with 997 or 987, no.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:58 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
OEM switches for the 986 are a complicated topic, they are momentary switches, so a regular on/off function requires a latching relay. Most of the switches fall into one of two categories in terms of the internal circuitry but there also some unique ones. 987 switches won't fit any of the switch spaces in a 986/996.

Best way to figure out which switch will work for your application is to pull up the 986 parts diagram, find all the possible switches listed on the dash diagram, then use the electrical diagrams in the Bentley manual to determine which switch has the circuitry that will be compatible with what you want to do. If you want the PSE button with the tailpipe icon you can always swap the switch cap. Popping it off isn't difficult.

Now if you don't care about having indicator lights or multiple stages/setting, and just want a simple on/off take a look at my radiator fan switch modification. You could duplicate the switch/latching relay wiring and swap the PSE icon cap over (assuming the PSE switch wasn't compatible, I am not sure what the circuity in that switch is like).