Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

Garage
99 boxster - white smoke, belt squeal

Hi,

2 weeks ago I purchased my 1st Porsche, a 99 Boxster 82k miles, well maintained according to recipets.

I was out driving it this weekend on the freeway, when I noticed soon as I let go of the gas pedal, I heard squealing sounds from the engine. I figured I would just drive it home as I was close enough, but I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed white smoke.

I pulled over tried to turn it off / on several times, same issue. Also noticed when I turned it on the Oil meter was all the sudden low. Even though it was around 75% the day before.

I didn't drive the car anymore and had it towed home. From peoples experience does this sound like the "Air Oil Separator" that went out? No CEL or other lights on. I noticed the oil meter had gone up to 50% after about an hour of the car sitting around and I tried to turn it on again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I purchased this knowing there would be some issues here and there, just didn't think it would happen 2 weeks into ownership.

Thanks

jaideepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #2

Sounds like the AOS

1. Change out the AOS and make sure to buy the most updated AOS.
2. Check oil level. If your dash says low, shut it off.
3. Inspect the squeal; open the engine covers (in cabin and under clamshell conver. top). The squeal could be something simple like belt, roller, etc...
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

The squeal could be the AOS itself, basically a broken diaphragm that is now making noise since air and oil is being sucked into the intake track.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Usually if it's the AOS there is a LOT of smoke. Since the squealing when only when you let off the gas my guess is it is related to the drive belt slipping. I'd take the drive belt off and inspect all of the accessories it turns, e.g. water pump etc.
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #5

....and has the water pump been changed and how is the coolant level?

runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote