Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Help me make my girl look slutty

I want to beef up the look of my boxster for as little money as possible. I see many sweet looking 986's on here with the nice chunky rear wheels and body kits. Can anyone give me some recommendations on what to get and where to get it?

polkfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #2

^are those DEPO smoked LED tail lights? Looks really nice on black
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

I dont really know Trey, the front lights are also a lil diff as they have no amber.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
jakesbox

My car had 18" carerra lite wheels on it but made it beefier looking by adding a space pushing the wheels out to just about the edge of the wheel well. Really beefed it up IMO.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #5

Garage
Cayman S 18" wheels will give your car a much more aggressive look and there is no need for spacers. You know they are quality rims because they are factory Porsche. Do a search, there are some nice pics with these wheels (there are a few pics of my Arena Red Box wearing Cayman S wheels on here).
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
DIY extremist

just a quick PSA:

I have three sets of wheels for sale that will fit your car. You will need to roll fenders for the 19s.

19" Porsche Sport Designs, with Bridgestone RE50s -- $2k

19" BBSs in Black, with nearly new Hankook Ventus V12s -- $1k

18" Porsche Boxster/Cayman S with Continental SportContact 3s -- $1300

All in mint condition.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:40 AM   #7

Get Fabspeed catback exhaust.

Get 18" Carrera Lights.

Paint calipers.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #8

Garage

Here are a few pics of my Box with the Cayman S wheels. I think it makes the car look much more aggressive. I wanted my Box to look as stock as possible but with a more modern / aggressive appearance. A friend of mine pointed out that Chevy must have patterned the new Camero Z28 wheels after the Cayman S wheels LOL.
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #9

After having done nearly all of this I would look at the OZ Ultraleggera HLT in matte graphite (Seen on the Boxsters in the gallery below) in 18" if they make that size. No bigger than 19" though.

http://projexuk.com/gallery/wheelz

I'd add PORSCHE door decals in a matching silver.

Try and score the factory GT3 front bumper. And add the GT3tek Boxster Spyder clip on polyurethane rear bumper cover.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-02-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Rennzenn

Garage
Budget slutty

Lower the car with H&R or eibach springs, $400 fleabay
Plasti-dip the wheels <$50 Lowes/Home Depot/online dipyourcar.com
Spacers ... Lots of choices and prices here, search around
Side graphics $200 local print or body shop
Wider rear tires on your rims
Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #11

Polkfarmboy,

Based on the title of your thread, I was going to tell you to just take a picture of your girlfriend standing next to your car:-)

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #12

Remember that if you fit wider tires on your base boxster, the extra weight may indeed make it feel even slower.

I put aftermarket 18 inch Carrera "lights" on my car (not any lighter than the factory 17 inch rims, btw, but HEAVIER) and they're 1-1.5 inches wider on the back (can't remember exactly)...

Looks great, but performance suffers:

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/pixpage.htm
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #13

^ and those 30+lb. wheels also ramp up the rattles, things come loose, things break eventually, your suspension has to work harder they wear out sooner.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Looks great, but performance suffers:

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/pixpage.htm
...."make my girl look slutty". Not something you hear every day huh

Had the heavy wheels before. City driving only. God they looked sexy (missing them much). Also found out that grip-wise they were so solid, rubust, sticky to the pavement, no bouncing, excellent rebound coming from the M30 sport kit etc etc. Loveeed the wheels

I've since chg to ultra light wheels and I feel my car wheely'ing almost. Also kinda feel funny on bumpy roads lol Not cool. Not mentioning having to put the world at risk while I'm doing left/rights to avoid cracking them in one of those dark streety holes :/

Wheels are light & fast yea yea yea, but they suxX100. I want my heavy wheel back
Old 04-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #15

Thats frightening to hear about wheels causing damage to the car. Wider tires on the back of regular porsche cayman 18's like the ones FS would be ok though?

I love the idea of an improved exhaust like the catback so how much could I pick one of these up for?

Randall I love the look of those wheels against black. That speed hump you have, does it mean you have to leave the top down all the time if you dont like take them off and leave them at home?

Back box, do you have pictures of the 3 sets?

This is really helping a novice like myself out who has just gotten into the whole driving deal late on. Now all I need is some body mods for her and I can plan out and prioritize the additions.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #16
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Get Fabspeed catback exhaust.

Get 18" Carrera Lights.

Paint calipers.
Can I get an amen, can I get an amen and can I get an amen. My fabspeed catback was the best noise ever!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:32 AM   #17

needs a tat on her spoiler:

/
Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
...."make my girl look slutty". Not something you hear every day huh

Had the heavy wheels before. City driving only. God they looked sexy (missing them much). Also found out that grip-wise they were so solid, rubust, sticky to the pavement, no bouncing, excellent rebound coming from the M30 sport kit etc etc. Loveeed the wheels

I've since chg to ultra light wheels and I feel my car wheely'ing almost. Also kinda feel funny on bumpy roads lol Not cool. Not mentioning having to put the world at risk while I'm doing left/rights to avoid cracking them in one of those dark streety holes :/

Wheels are light & fast yea yea yea, but they suxX100. I want my heavy wheel back
Sounds like you need a stickier tire. While a heavier wheel may give you the perception of more grip, it'll will remind you that it isn't when the guy in the identical car beats you into and through the turn on a lighter wheel/stickier tire.
And unless it's a forged wheel, more weight makes the wheel far more likely to split/crack/bend on crappy roads. If the wheel cracks, the tire can go down, shred the tire wall and you just spent a nice chunk of change to replace a wheel and a tire.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #19

Check the For Sale section, I've got some speedster humps and a rear wing for sale. Both add substantially to the visual appears of a 986.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Sounds like you need a stickier tire. While a heavier wheel may give you the perception of more grip, it'll will remind you that it isn't when the guy in the identical car beats you into and through the turn on a lighter wheel/stickier tire.
And unless it's a forged wheel, more weight makes the wheel far more likely to split/crack/bend on crappy roads. If the wheel cracks, the tire can go down, shred the tire wall and you just spent a nice chunk of change to replace a wheel and a tire.
One piece forged, very very nice... in a parking lot only. Brittle stuff :/