986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Seasonal allergies/infections & top down driving (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51413-seasonal-allergies-infections-top-down-driving.html)

Perfectlap 03-30-2014 10:11 AM

Seasonal allergies/infections & top down driving

Thought I would share this experience. It was a result of bike riding (fixed gear track bike for those who ride) but this could just as easily have happened to me driving the Boxster.
I traveled out of state for a family obligation in Florida. I went on the bike for the first time. I noticed there was some manner of rag weed on the dog when it would come back from playing outside but I failed to cover my nose or mouth like an idiot. I even have one of those half balaclavas I could have worn. I came back from the ride with not even sneeze or sniffle. Fast forward 24 hours and I walk out of bed with a splitting head ache and fever. I take two ibuprofen and drink three bottles of water and within an hour its all gone. So I thought... headache and fever come back with a vengeance. Like I've never had a headache like this. Even moving my eyes left to right hurts. Being out state I go to one of these walk in type clinics and actually manage to score a real doctor. She does a flu nose swab test that comes back negative. She prescribes Tamiflu, Zyrtec and antibiotic "Z pack". Does nothing. Huh? Instead Headache and fever go up (99-104), albeit not quiet danger zone fever. After 48 hours of sitting on the couch in bad mood I head to the local emergency room with as I'm now wondering if its something more serious slowly picking up steam, namely meningitis. My insurance requires a $100 copay for ER visits. I'll pay $100 to make this headache from hell go away. They do a CT scan. 10 minutes later the attending comes back with a bottle of...... Flonase. Turns out the attending is not a doctor but physician's assistant (best job ever imho, less student debt, portable degree, excellent pay and hours). Regardless, both fever and headache are gone WITHIN 10 MINUTES. pulling hair out...grrr... why didn't I do this myself!!

On the one hand, thank the Lord I have insurance, because no way in hell do I walk into an ER with only my credit card to protect me. Paying to see a U.S. Med School educated doctor with 20+ years experience apparently wasn't enough to solve the riddle. So if you're not barred from using Flonase by your doctor, keep in the glove box. Sinus inflammation can wreak havoc quickly.

P.S.
Wear sun block under your clothes, specifically to the skin like your legs, that is exposed directly to the Sun when your driving top down. Your clothes are not UVA/UVB safe, especially thinner summer cothes. My skin doctor asked if I go to the beach a lot. I never go to there! Lots of time in a roadster has the same effect it seems. Too many moles according the Doc.

BruceH 03-30-2014 10:47 AM

I always have allergy issues, in fact I am just getting over a sinus infection. Flonase is great stuff! Glad you are feeling better:cheers:

particlewave 03-30-2014 10:55 AM

I keep bottles in both cars, one in my jacket pocket, and one in my toolbox that goes everywhere with me, just in case I forget one or more of the others :D

Perfectlap 03-30-2014 11:22 AM

I still cant believe a sinus infection could muster a fever and head in a vise headache that would not take even an hour break for days and days. I thought I was living an episode of House.

I need to buy some stock in Glaxo. Allergy season is going to be intense this year unless we get an usually hot spring to burn off the pollen.

Timco 03-31-2014 04:32 AM

Do you even Claritan D or Zyrtek, bro?

+1 on thank God for great insurance.

jb92563 03-31-2014 05:52 AM

I had a horrible sinus infect myself about 20 years ago.

It was so bad it actually damaged my sense of smell about 30 years ago and when it gradually repaired itself, smells were all wired wrong afterwards.

It was bizarre, as a year after perfume smelled like a pile of dog crap, grass smelled like honey, actual crap did not smell bad at all to me, and numerous others things smelled like things they should not.

I don't have allergies, but what happened as far as I could figure was one day I was windsurfing and traveling a a pretty good speed, I fell in such a way that the water was forced up my nose and into my sinuses. I figure the lake water caused the infection that ultimately damaged my sense of smell.

In all this time my smell is still "off" and I can not smell many things at all.

I wish they had Flonase back then, as I suffered considerably wih the sinus infection and headache that lasted a month.

As far as the top down stuff goes, leave a tube of sun block in the car.
Now I even need to apply it to my head.

They need to develop a hairgel/sunblock for us.

Davev 03-31-2014 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 393581)

I have the special reflective silver hair. Matches the gray Porsche perfectly.
:eek:

After several years of using Flonase (seasonally) I seem to be cured and haven't needed it for the last 2 years. I would be careful and not use it too much.

thstone 03-31-2014 11:31 AM

I think that you are in the early phase of an internal IMS bearing failure. It won't be long before you throw a flashing CEL and will need to be shut down to prevent permanent damage.

No need to go under the knife to replace the bearing, simply get an IMS Guardian now and wear it under your clothes. No one will be the wiser.

If you do get an alarm, then skip the PA, you'll need serious help from Jake for repairs. :)

Perfectlap 03-31-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 393581)
I had a horrible sinus infect myself about 20 years ago.

It was so bad it actually damaged my sense of smell about 30 years ago and when it gradually repaired itself, smells were all wired wrong afterwards.

It was bizarre, as a year after perfume smelled like a pile of dog crap, grass smelled like honey, actual crap did not smell bad at all to me, and numerous others things smelled like things they should not.

I don't have allergies, but what happened as far as I could figure was one day I was windsurfing and traveling a a pretty good speed, I fell in such a way that the water was forced up my nose and into my sinuses. I figure the lake water caused the infection that ultimately damaged my sense of smell.

In all this time my smell is still "off" and I can not smell many things at all.

I wish they had Flonase back then, as I suffered considerably wih the sinus infection and headache that lasted a month.

As far as the top down stuff goes, leave a tube of sun block in the car.
Now I even need to apply it to my head.

HOLY COW!! That is nuts! Hmm come to think of it my appetite has changed drastically since the headache.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 393630)
I think that you are in the early phase of an internal IMS bearing failure. It won't be long before you throw a flashing CEL and will need to be shut down to prevent permanent damage.

No need to go under the knife to replace the bearing, simply get an IMS Guardian now and wear it under your clothes. No one will be the wiser.

If you do get an alarm, then skip the PA, you'll need serious help from Jake for repairs. :)

Is this related to the Raby story about his driving behind the Boxster and calling the tow truck for no reason? I need a vacation on the moon. Might not be far away enough.

trimer 04-01-2014 01:13 PM

You should see how our cars turn yellow. Even sitting in the garage from all the pollen down here in Florida and it usually lasts a good month. We are the middle of it now. Never had allergies until we moved here. It is brutal. And the yellow crap all over the house and cars is disgusting.

I also am moley and have had no less than 20 removed and three were pre-cancer. I am 42. I couldn't agree more. My 8 yr old and 4 yr old have never had a burn...they do not leave the house without some protection. I am bald and still load up with sunscreen on my head and wear a hat.

I go to dermatologist every three months. They are very aggressive here in Florida in keeping an eye out!

jb92563 04-01-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 393783)
You should see how our cars turn yellow. Even sitting in the garage from all the pollen down here in Florida and it usually lasts a good month. We are the middle of it now. Never had allergies until we moved here. It is brutal. And the yellow crap all over the house and cars is disgusting.

Hmmmm, I just thought there were a lot of yellow Boxster in FL, or maybe there are but the owners decided to side with nature(Yellow) instead of fighting against it (Black).