986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   I wish I knew THEN what I know NOW… (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51308-i-wish-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now%85.html)

mikehkang 03-24-2014 10:22 AM

I wish I knew THEN what I know NOW…

I just spent a week replacing a part that didn’t need replacing. Never mind the cost, less then $8, but I missed two sunny March days last week that I could have been driving with top down.

So, in an effort to save someone else’s valuable time, I am starting a thread, “I wish I knew then what I know now…”

Here is mine.

I wish I knew then that the ignition key does not go “all the way in.” You can see about 3/16 of an inch when you can turn the key. If you can’t turn the key to start the car, it is not necessarily the ignition switch problem. It may be that the steering wheel lock is engaged.

BIGJake111 03-24-2014 10:44 AM

ouch steering wheel lock. No posts for me to share though, i know nothing :D.

recycledsixtie 03-24-2014 10:57 AM

I hear you re keys. I have no remote. I used the valet key to take the car to the indy shop. I got the indy repair guy to see if the ignition switch was going because it was hard to turn. Regular key was easier. He said no problem because the valet key was not used enough and would not turn as well.

Not too many surprises. Knew it would cost more than a Miata to run. What I did not know was that my wife would give me such a hard time about the repair expenses of the Box vs. her Camry.

Oh yes and when I drain the oil for an oil change the Can Tire "gloves" give no protection from the heat of the oil. Duh....

Hydroplaning? Hit a puddle at high speed. Back end gets loose.

I could go on but don't want to give you any material for bad dreams.
Guy:)

jb92563 03-24-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikehkang (Post 392442)
I just spent a week replacing a part that didn’t need replacing. Never mind the cost, less then $8, but I missed two sunny March days last week that I could have been driving with top down.

So, in an effort to save someone else’s valuable time, I am starting a thread, “I wish I knew then what I know now…”

Here is mine.

I wish I knew then that the ignition key does not go “all the way in.” You can see about 3/16 of an inch when you can turn the key. If you can’t turn the key to start the car, it is not necessarily the ignition switch problem. It may be that the steering wheel lock is engaged.

I had my Boxster for a couple weeks and came out of work one day rather alarmed that brush fires was burning near by and was heading straight for where I was parked.

I hurriedly jumped in the car and was expecting to speed off to avoid any potential damage to my 986. Of course the thing would not start and then I really started to panic. :eek:

I took a deep breath and slowly tried turned the key again, nothing, then I realized that I was leaning hard on the locked steering wheel while trying to turn the key. I freed the wheel from my grip and viola, the key turned and the car started...and outta there double time!

Yes, I can relate to the steering lock key issue ;)

fatmike 03-24-2014 02:05 PM

The ignition switch would have eventually broken anyway. So consider your work preventative maintenance... (and practice for when it breaks again...)

/