986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   torn cv boots (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51272-torn-cv-boots.html)

oc-boxster 03-22-2014 07:27 AM

torn cv boots

my 02 was at my indy mechanic for an oil change and we discovered a badly torn cv boot. its the inner boot on drivers side, and the other 3 are dried out and cracked. he said he was going to remove the axles and send them out to be redone at a cost of 500-600 dollars. the question i have is there any problem with driving the car another 300 or so miles next week before he can get my car in again? the badly torn boot let all the grease out. no noise or issues.

thstone 03-22-2014 08:13 AM

The major risks are that the CV joint that has had all of the grease washed out is damaged beyond rebuild by further driving or could completely fail from lack of lubrication.

Since there is no noise or issues, there might still be enough grease in the joint to keep it operable for a few hundred more miles BUT you'd hate to drive it and then have to replace the entire assy at considerable more cost. Its really a roll of the dice.

The safe bet is to park it until it can be properly repaired.

oc-boxster 03-22-2014 08:28 AM

Thanks for the information. I will make other arrangements to get around next week. My mechanic is only 6 miles away so I'll make that the only miles that go on the car in the mean time. My mechanic used the term "redone" what exactly is done along with replacing the boots? Just new grease and clamps? I'm wondering why my mechanic is sending them to someone else to do. Is there any other recommended work to do while the axles are out?

BoxsterSteve 03-22-2014 08:51 AM

I had mine done (all four) last spring when I got the car out of hibernation. Cost under $400 for parts & labour. I found the torn boots when I was poking around underneath last winter (brake fluid flush, clutch bleed, trans fluid & Gbox detent).
Luckily the innards were fine, so the CV's got re-greased and new boots installed.
I could have done it myself, but it would have taken way longer than half a day, plus I needed over $100 in tools first before I could even do the work. My indie left the suspension and pulled the exhaust to get the axles out.

thstone 03-22-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc-boxster (Post 392151)
Thanks for the information. I will make other arrangements to get around next week. My mechanic is only 6 miles away so I'll make that the only miles that go on the car in the mean time. My mechanic used the term "redone" what exactly is done along with replacing the boots? Just new grease and clamps? I'm wondering why my mechanic is sending them to someone else to do. Is there any other recommended work to do while the axles are out?

You may have to ask your mechanic exactly what "redone" means. The simplest approach is to just re-grease the existing CV joint and install a new boot. The more complicated/expensive method is to install a replacement CV joint, grease, and new boot.

stephen wilson 03-24-2014 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 392220)
The simplest approach is to just re-grease the existing CV joint and install a new boot.

Yup, I've done this many times with my Toyota 4x4, and still have the factory CV's at 190,000 miles. Just be sure to thoroughly clean out all of the old grease first.

peterbrown77 03-24-2014 06:02 AM

Apparently the 6-speed puts more wear on the boots than the 5-speed. This is because the output flanges are higher on the transaxle, creating a greater angle between the driveshafts and the wheels. This leads to more flexing of the boots.

The Radium King 03-24-2014 07:51 AM

the inner cvs can be replaced, the out ones cannot (attached to the axle). actual cost of the cv isn't that much, and replacement is a snap if the axle is out of the car. so, as thstone said, find out if the rebuild includes new inner cvs or not, and what the additional cost would be if not. that will determine if you want to keep driving on it in the interim. also, note that all that grease flings out everywhere, makes a mess, and gets on the exhaust and makes a stink.

having done the process myself, treating the rubber boots is now part of my maintenance ritual, in order to keep them happy for as long as possible.

oc-boxster 04-15-2014 03:09 PM

Car is at the shop now. Both axles coming out and all 4 boots being replaced-quoted 760.00 total, almost all labor.

Benjamin 04-15-2014 04:14 PM

Holy moly!!! I'm sorry, but that's highway robbery! I just replaced all 4 of mine last weekend for about $40 in parts which was all 4 boots, 8 clamps, and a tube of Swepco 101. I'm an amateur and it took me about an hour and you don't have to remove the axles. I wish I got paid $700/hr.

healthservices 04-15-2014 04:16 PM

Sorry to hear about this so late. I would have done all 4 for $350. I'm in N. Tustin

oc-boxster 04-15-2014 04:54 PM

But my mechanic has snacks and soda in his lobby-I'm sad to hear it can be done at a lower cost. Unfortunately I don't have any space where I'm currently living to tackle the job myself-I thought the estimate seemed a bit high-it shows 110 in parts and 660 in labor-

fatmike 04-15-2014 05:17 PM

This is a typical failure on these cars, and $760 for all four isn't highway robbery.

I'm not saying it's cheap, but it's a hell of a lot closer to "typical" than "highway robbery".

/

Benjamin 04-15-2014 05:27 PM

Well, I do all my own wrenching, so I think all labor charges are robbery, but $660 is like 6 hours at a dealer. There's no way that job should take anywhere near that long. Just because lots of garages charge that much doesn't make it right.

nicecar 04-15-2014 05:33 PM

I paid too much

In the past I have paid way to much for all work done IMO. They always say pick up wrench on this forum,so as of late I have been doing my own work with great results! Tomorrow I install motor mount and exhaust. Looking in my records Brumos Porsche charged 871.82 labor 207.28 parts for the cv job. Ifind that diy is the way to go for everything if you have the time and tools. Yesterday I discovered how easy it is to change the waterpump on my outboard motor....stupid easy I cant believe it! Well any way enjoy the car and remember there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche, in the end you will pay. P.S. It aint the frickin space shuttle. Very easy and very fun to work on.

healthservices 04-15-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc-boxster (Post 395843)
But my mechanic has snacks and soda in his lobby-I'm sad to hear it can be done at a lower cost. Unfortunately I don't have any space where I'm currently living to tackle the job myself-I thought the estimate seemed a bit high-it shows 110 in parts and 660 in labor-

I have beer in my fridge... ;)

I assume its a little more labor than a front wheel drive car (2.0 hrs) so... 2.5 to three per side on a boxster.

so 5 to 6 hours labor... typical dealer charges north $150 per hour.

so at least you are saving cost over a dealer.

No one says these cars are cheap to maintain. Its just that the typical boxster owner is...

well...

:rolleyes:

more cost conscience???

:D

:dance:

you want to talk about fun? Latest project...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-k...328_124836.jpg

:(

oc-boxster 04-16-2014 04:53 AM

Those look like a lot of fun! You don't have any secondary cat delete pipes
Laying around you wanna sell do you?

dghii 04-16-2014 07:21 AM

I've done this job as well (car on a lift thank goodness) a few years back on my 2000S. I bought the parts for under $50.

Its pretty straight forward but there is some time involved in removing the axle, cleaning up the joints and repacking. I can see a couple of hours a side.

healthservices 04-16-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc-boxster (Post 395887)
Those look like a lot of fun! You don't have any secondary cat delete pipes
Laying around you wanna sell do you?

I will be deleting the secondary cats as well as the mufflers...

Already started the car with just the open pipes, the v10 sounds sweet but boy is it loud! :eek: