986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Nitto NT-05 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51254-nitto-nt-05-a.html)

The French Dude 03-20-2014 03:43 PM

Nitto NT-05

Hi everybody!
I consider those tire are they good ?
I do some AX's and plan to do a couple of DE's

Thank you!

Topless 03-20-2014 05:15 PM

This was not my favorite tire. Grip wasn't as good as advertised and they melted off my rims in no time. I much prefer Hankook RS-3 or Dunlop Star Specs for street/track use. The RS-3s are now my rain tire for track days.

ChrisZang 03-20-2014 05:50 PM

100% agree with Topless (as usual)
I had NT-05 once and these were the fastest wearing tires EVER. That might have been OK if they had the grip you would expect from such a soft tire, but they were just average.
Try Dunlop Star Spec Z1 or Michelin Super Sport

thstone 03-20-2014 07:47 PM

I like the Hankook R-S3 or Kumho Ectsa XS for street/track duty - both have incredible dry grip. I just put a new set of R-S3's on my 996 two weeks ago.

j.fro 03-21-2014 01:55 AM

I thought the NT05 tires were more drag racing/Camaro/Mustang oriented. I've used the NT01 tires very successfully. I can usually get 20 events from the rears (almost a year) and double that from the fronts. They seem to have grip right up until they cord.

Frodo 03-21-2014 03:30 AM

My Box had Dunlops on her when purchased in 2005, and I liked them a lot. For those fans of the Dunlop Star Spec, what kind of mileage have you experienced? I'm mostly on the street, but occasionally on the track. I need tires, and I've been sorely tempted by them...but nervous I'll be replacing them sooner than I'd like.

The French Dude 03-21-2014 07:48 AM

Thank you for your advices!
Exit Nitto NT05!

Perfectlap 03-21-2014 10:21 AM

How smooth is your typical autocross venue? Here in NJ we had one that was awful and another (stadium) that is the total opposite. If the surface sucks (think hard oatmeal) you will shred an expensive set of tires quickly. I made this mistake the first time I mounted r-comps.

Also consider the effect of doing double duty (street/track) on the same tires in your weather region. Here we get couple months of warm and lots of cold. The street use wears out the tire and on coldish track days you'll then have to notch it down some... if you have a lead foot tendency, a lot some. Some times you think the bite will be there.... and then it's not.

LAP1DOUG 03-21-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 391966)
My Box had Dunlops on her when purchased in 2005, and I liked them a lot. For those fans of the Dunlop Star Spec, what kind of mileage have you experienced? I'm mostly on the street, but occasionally on the track. I need tires, and I've been sorely tempted by them...but nervous I'll be replacing them sooner than I'd like.

I just retired a set of Dunlop ZI's after about:

8,500 street miles
+ 6 track days
+ 50 autocross runs

I replaced these with a new set of ZII's, which are working pretty well even in cool 40 - 50 F temperatures.

One warning with the ZI / ZII: When they get near running out of tread, the compound changes, and is not nearly as grippy as when new. You can't run these until they cord like a Hoosier or a NT-01.

The French Dude 03-22-2014 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 392016)
How smooth is your typical autocross venue? Here in NJ we had one that was awful and another (stadium) that is the total opposite. If the surface sucks (think hard oatmeal) you will shred an expensive set of tires quickly. I made this mistake the first time I mounted r-comps.

I have the same awful condition on one!
I don't know the second one yet!
But your point is good!