Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
I want my Boxter To handle like a Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S

So I'm going to throw some Prius tires on it and have a real sports car!

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Stickers are your friend. I say put "Twin Turbo" 427 on the front fender and you will have a monster!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

Garage
And on the back put "Boss Boxster".

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
More camber front less camber rear.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
Stickers are your friend. I say put "Twin Turbo" 427 on the front fender and you will have a monster!
You are back!!! good to hear/read from you again Eric
Old 03-16-2014, 05:37 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

I really enjoy beating those cars at the track. Then they come over and say, sure you're faster but you have a $50K car, and I respond that no, I have a $10K car and they could have saved $15K.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 AM   #7

Put two spare tires on the front to get that classic muscle car look. And handling
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
It's the driver not the car then. Car handles just fine for me!
G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Put two spare tires on the front to get that classic muscle car look. And handling
That would be understeer city.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
lol, glad you guys caught the sarcasm in my post. They put Prius tires on these cars so they can peel out and break loose, then the auto journalist rave about how great the cars are to drive. Only Jap cars can get away with this junk.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
That would be understeer city.
True... For classic muscle car handling put the spares on the back. Burnouts galore and oversteer city
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #12

Garage
To quote a Instagram post of a 964 owner that was just posted.. More horsepower than a brz, no turbos, cheaper, and 20 yrs older.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #13

The narrow tires are not the only reason why the FRS gets thumbs up from the magazine guys.
The FRS engine has a lower COG than the Boxster/Cayman only the F360 and LFA are lower as far as mass produced-conventional engine road cars (according to SCION).
Plus it's got a reliable, low maintenance boxer engine with RWD. You're not going to get that with any new car for that price. Not even close. And No need to spend $2-3K on "IMS" stuff like we do. Sure you can buy an old Porsche and get the RWD/Boxer but you'll be taking your chances on thousands of dollars in unexpected repairs/maintenance. As someone who has spent at least $14K on such (well before the car even hit 100K mile), I can see the appeal of the FRS for under $25K with a nice, handy warranty.
Toyota deserve credit for putting a car like that together even when there's not really an obvious budget-market demand for it.

skinny tires, fat tires, it's getting around Jarama GP circuit just fine here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g

80% of what a Boxster/Cayman can deliver at any track for only a fraction of the price? That's called common sense use of money in sport.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-16-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
80% of what a Boxster/Cayman can deliver at any track for only a fraction of the price?
Let's compare apples to apples. Maybe 80% of what a 15 year old 986 base Boxster can deliver but only 25% of a 315hp 981S. IMHO a used 986 is by far the better value.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #15

Garage
Even if it was 150% as capable, you'd still be buying a scion and not a Porsche, not to break out cliches but words like "brand, passion, an heritage" are worth a good 100 HP.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Even if it was 150% as capable, you'd still be buying a scion and not a Porsche, not to break out cliches but words like "brand, passion, an heritage" are worth a good 100 HP.
SCION is Toyota and they've got plenty of heritage in motorsports.
From F1 to LeMans Prototypes and even NASCAR.

I'd say nowadays they're more a racing brand than Porsche is, for the most part Porsche only races in one type of racing, and in only one class within that category at that... Porsche hasn't won overall at LeMans since the late 90's. But we'll see how Porsche stacks up to lowly Toyota when their respective Hybrid LMPs hit the WEC tracks. Toyota's already a race winner in that class (which includes Audi).

I'd say Porsche is more a luxury/status symbol brands these days. Certainly if you look at the breakdown of sales with the family car Prosches taking the lion's share of production.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-16-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Let's compare apples to apples. Maybe 80% of what a 15 year old 986 base Boxster can deliver but only 25% of a 315hp 981S. IMHO a used 986 is by far the better value.
no argument there.

But value in new Porsches makes that a pretty low bar for the Boxster or Cayman to beat. For instance look at the new C7, for that money you've got 997.2 GT3 track performance for a price that couldn't even get you into a second hand CaymanS.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
SCION is Toyota and they've got plenty of heritage in motorsports.
From F1 to LeMans Prototypes and even NASCAR.

I'd say nowadays they're more a racing brand than Porsche is, for the most part Porsche only races in one type of racing, and in only one class within that category at that... Porsche hasn't won overall at LeMans since the late 90's. But we'll see how Porsche stacks up to lowly Toyota when their respective Hybrid LMPs hit the WEC tracks. Toyota's already a race winner in that class (which includes Audi).

I'd say Porsche is more a luxury/status symbol brands these days. Certainly if you look at the breakdown of sales with the family car Prosches taking the lion's share of production.
Toyota makes too many cars, prius, yaris, camry, included, for them to be taken seriously in comparison to the company with the most race wins of any manufacturer period. Yeah they are great at engineering and yeah they are very capable at motorsports. They just lack the purity and the back catalog of porsche.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #19

What's with the "Lets bash this car" thread.

I don't get it.

I don't buy the "It's not a PORSHA" crap at all. The FRS is a very fun car and represents a great value for a new sports car.

As for tires, whatever. Buy a new set of your choice or get a dedicated set for AX days.

Although I really like my car, not everyone wants to drive a 10-15 year old sports car. Especially one that could grenade at a moments notice.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #20

I think most enthusiast are happy to see the FRS/BZR twins. There is nothing that comes close to what they have to offer in the new car market. The one sad fact is that they are not selling as well as the initial interest level would have indicated. Part of it is that the market for these type of cars is limited. Most of the older enthusiast that like that car tend to want to go for something higher up the ladder and younger generation does not have the interest in cars that young people once had. Heck few of them even know how to drive a manual transmission. If they drive the auto (I did) it leaves much to be desired in terms of forward thrust. Hope they sell more so that there are plenty of used ones to turn into cheap track day cars.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote