Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

New to the forum

I've been searching around the forum getting a lot of helpful advise but now that I finally bought my new baby I feel like I should introduce myself.
I'm Gabriel, I'm 18 and live in Cali. Just bought myself a 2001 boxster s.
I have some plans for it but don't mind opinions. I'll post picture ASAP. I'm a hardcore DIYer so you'll be hearing from me a lot. I ask a lot of questions. Just wanted to say hi and that I'm looking forward to learn a few things and hopefully lend a hand to others.

818BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #2

Garage
Welcome, young owners represent haha! Happy motoring, curious though, what was your previous car?
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to your pics. California is a natural for a Boxster to live. Cheers. Guy.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Welcome, young owners represent haha! Happy motoring, curious though, what was your previous car?
I had a Lexus gs400 which I gave to my dad, the. I had a 2013 nissan altima which I gave to my brother and I had a 1991 Mazda miata (very fun car) until I sold it and got my boxster. I'll try to post pics of my other cars if you want
Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

Teenagers with Porsches man this a whole new world. I remember getting hell from wealthy guys I knew in their 50's because I managed to buy one a few years out of college. "Look at this guy a Porsche and he's still young!".
But by a few years out of college I mean a good 7 years. First two cars were Hondas, largely because the insurance on an German car was highway robbery and frankly I was more interest in shoveling as much money as I could into the market. Delayed gratfication meant Porsche was a no go. But I guess with mass production and excess supply it becomes tempting to get in a Porsche straigtht away.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-17-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 818BoxsterS View Post
I had a Lexus gs400 which I gave to my dad, the. I had a 2013 nissan altima which I gave to my brother and I had a 1991 Mazda miata (very fun car) until I sold it and got my boxster. I'll try to post pics of my other cars if you want
How does the boxster compare to the miata... my alternative cars if i couldn't convince my parents on the boxster reliabilty was either a mr2 or a miata.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Teenagers with Porsches man this a whole new world.
Not really. They owned them back then, too. I, personally, think that the major difference is that communication has changed over the past 20-30 years such that you get 40+ year olds and 18- year olds chatting with each other on the internet, sometimes with respect on both ends. Of course, you can just get on Xbox live if you want to hear both groups talking like 12 year olds.

Good luck to the OP -- Jake, BTW, you've been doing better with your grammar and, sometimes, use of punctuation, although I think 818 is a class ahead of you in terms of posting.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Not really. They owned them back then, too. I, personally, think that the major difference is that communication has changed over the past 20-30 years such that you get 40+ year olds and 18- year olds chatting with each other on the internet, sometimes with respect on both ends. Of course, you can just get on Xbox live if you want to hear both groups talking like 12 year olds.

Good luck to the OP -- Jake, BTW, you've been doing better with your grammar and, sometimes, use of punctuation, although I think 818 is a class ahead of you in terms of posting.
I noticed with his first post that i had to step up my game .
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
I noticed, with his first post, that I had to step up my game .

You're familiar with the phrase, "baby steps", yes? These are more like... "fetal kicks". Keep it up! You'll make Strunk and White proud... one day.

Edit: Technically, you could make the argument that you should have used "have" in place of "had"; however, I don't know when 818 made his first post. If it had been a few days to a week or two ago, I think "had" is ok. Having said that, if the first post in this thread is the OP's first, that "have" should be used. Although, I have noticed your webspeak improving consistently over the past few weeks. Nevertheless, I am pleased with your progress -- whatever that may be worth to you -- I do think that others also appreciate the extra effort, too.

Last edited by cfos; 03-17-2014 at 07:03 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post

Thanks for the kind words
Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #11

Quote:
How does the boxster compare to the miata... my alternative cars if i couldn't convince my parents on the boxster reliabilty was either a mr2 or a miata.
A miata is like a cheaper porsche in my opinion. Definitely porsche has it beat in style and luxury but when you're in a miata it's you and the car. Nothing extra. Just a beautifully handling machine that is controlled directly by your every move. Little underpowered tho. I had all the suspension done though. Remind me to post pictures.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #12

Pictures are up!
PS: Sorry for the bad camera phone pictures. Needs a wash too

Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #13

Garage
very nice interior congrats on the car.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #14

Garage
Hi all,

I am new to this forum as well, and never got a chance to intrudes myself.My name is Armen Jr, from Los Angles area (SFV).I'm electronic engineer and I enjoy working on my cars.Last November I got 2001 Boxster S from my coworker-friend and already did some job on it.Its my first Porsche.So far I am enjoying the car, its not my daily driver so I don't drive it much on weekdays.

Thanks,
Armen Jr.
ArmenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmenT View Post
Hi all,

I am new to this forum as well, and never got a chance to intrudes myself.My name is Armen Jr, from Los Angles area (SFV).I'm electronic engineer and I enjoy working on my cars.Last November I got 2001 Boxster S from my coworker-friend and already did some job on it.Its my first Porsche.So far I am enjoying the car, its not my daily driver so I don't drive it much on weekdays.

Thanks,
Armen Jr.
Nice to meet you Armen. Welcome to the club. Post some pics up of your porsche!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmenT View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,
Armen Jr.
Welcome an pics or it didn't happen (just the rules here).
Old 03-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #17

Garage
Thanks you guys, this is the only pictures I got handy right now (at my work PC) but I guess its a good reason to take some good shots this weekend
The car originally is form FL, in the second pic it still got a FL license plates.

ArmenT is offline   Reply With Quote