Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2003, 06:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Handling --- MX-5 Vs Boxster

hi

First of all i love your forum.

I currently drive a Mazda MX-5 (See pic attached - yes that is a surfboard attached to the roof!) and am going to upgrade soon to a 1999 Boxster. I have been reseaching what people say about the boxster - and i am conviced i'll buy one.

Problem is, because i am young the dealers won't let me near them for a test drive!!! Same thing happened when i went to get my MX-5 (i had to take my dad!!!).

So i'd be interested to hear from anyone who has driven both cars. Obviously the finish and luxury of the boxster would be much better, but i'm more interested in the handling aspects.

For instance....the gear changes in an MX-5 are extremly fast/short throw...that type of stuff.

I'll be interested to hear what people think

Many thanks
John

John Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:08 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

I had a very limited run with a Miata back in the spring. It was better than I'd hoped...wonderful handling and a classic FR layout feel. In some ways I thought it was more fun than the Boxster, in a sense that the limits are quite lower so you can explore them more on public roads. The Boxster feels kind of "serious" in comparision, more demanding, and much more competant at higher speeds.

I don't know what else to say. I honestly wouldn't mind one in my fleet for ice cream runs; for a long trip to the mountains, though, it is Boxster all the way!
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

Thanks mate

Yeah...i was actually all set to buy a WRX, but found that it's limits were a lot higher than the MX-5 (Miata in US and Japan). I thought i'd lose my licence within a week....thus i bought the MX-5 and have had lots of fun and only copped one speeding fine (overtaking an unmarked cop car at 140km/hr!!!). But now its time to upgrade, and i'm a bit older and wiser now (i only speed in certain areas where i know i can out-run them before they get a chance to turn around!!!)

What did you think of the breaks in the MX-5 compared to the boxster? Its a light car....but they have always felt a bit underdone for my liking.

Another reason i want to move to the boxster is that I'm 6'3" and find it very tight in the MX-5. I think i am the tallest that would be able to drive in it.

Thanks Again
John
John Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 08:07 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

Brakes are really great in the Boxster, in a class of their own.

Check your fit in the Boxster carefully. I'm 6'1" and not entirely happy all the time. I did the console delete and that helped me, but I wish for another inch or two of leg room.

Good luck.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 09:32 AM   #5

I tried the Miata before the Boxster and found that I didn't fit (headroom). I wished it did as it was a great deal for the money and there were tons of aftermarket tweeks and even a racing classification specific to the car available. However, I've rever regretted getting the Boxster....

I guess it all depends on where your height is split (toes to hip and hips to hair)... I'm 6'1" as well and fit in the Boxster OK, finding I have plenty of leg room. In the Miata I couldn't comfortably fit my legs or head (with the top up). I had the same problem with almost every other sports conv. I tried except for the Honda S2000.