986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Got my wife a Boxster and she wont drive it! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51143-got-my-wife-boxster-she-wont-drive.html)

JayG 03-12-2014 07:35 PM

Got my wife a Boxster and she wont drive it!

Bought an 04 S for my wife as a birthday present, she has been wanting one for a long time.
She drove a little, but was driving it softly. I told her it's a Porsche, you need to drive it hard. Now she is afraid of it and wont drive it so I am stuck driving it instead of my Passat

Too bad.......for her :p

It my first Porsche and I LOVE it. almost too fun.

Wish I had though of this before

Timco 03-12-2014 07:43 PM

Almost 2 years later and my wife will not drive mine.

Oh well.........

tdamlo 03-12-2014 07:45 PM

That's a good problem to have. I have to hide the keys from mine!

thstone 03-12-2014 07:52 PM

My wife hated the Boxster too. (She is slowly warming to the 996).

Whoever called the Boxster a "girls car" forgot to check with actual girls. :)

Joshnich 03-12-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 390825)
Bought an 04 S for my wife as a birthday present, she has been wanting one for a long time.
She drove a little, but was driving it softly. I told her it's a Porsche, you need to drive it hard. Now she is afraid of it and wont drive it so I am stuck driving it instead of my Passat

Too bad.......for her :p

It my first Porsche and I LOVE it. almost too fun.

Wish I had though of this before

When I got my 04 my wife was freaked out driving it. Now I have to fight for the keys!

Porsche9 03-12-2014 08:45 PM

Wife won't drive mine either. Afraid she'll do something to it. I track the car so I am not too worried. Just drive it.

lkchris 03-12-2014 08:47 PM

"You need to drive it hard" is macho BS.

TRPLBLK04 03-12-2014 09:52 PM

Rarly rides in it, much less drive it.........win - win........:)

stephen wilson 03-13-2014 03:14 AM

Wierd, my wife loved driving mine, that is until she got her Audi A5, now she doesn't really care.

bglz42 03-13-2014 03:17 AM

My wife loves driving our Boxster S! I could hardly get her to drive the Cayman I formerly owned...

schnellman 03-13-2014 04:20 AM

Here To Help

If you buy a Boxster for your wife and she refuses to drive it, please contact me. I'll take it off your hands. And, no, I won't charge you a penny. I'm that kind of guy.

ps After four years my wife still has not driven my Boxster. But, she absolutely loves riding in it.

Mark_T 03-13-2014 05:30 AM

My wife likes to ride in the Boxster, but will never drive it as she cannot drive stick and is so technically inept with anything mechanical that she could not be taught. Fine by me.

jb92563 03-13-2014 05:55 AM

I was going to say that any guy giving his girl or himself for that matter a Boxster or other Porsche should throw in a Porsche Performance Driving school.

I have seen timid girly drivers come out of that course with total confidence and driving it like a race car. It is actually amazing to watch all the drivers and particularly the girls transformation.

However, if your hoping the car will really be yours in the end, then this is a bad idea as you'll have to get your own after that since you won't be able to pry it away from her.

Also if you are at all the least bit of a timid driver, that course will give you tons of confidence and new skills to be able to drive a sports car sportingly, safely and your particular car to the limits of it and your capabilities and beyond.
(Spinouts are kinda fun in a controlled environment once you realize theres no harm in it to the car)

Did I mention its just plain fun and you will make new Porsche friends.

HolmaN 03-13-2014 06:38 AM

My girl is affraid of it. Haha!

stephen wilson 03-13-2014 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 390860)
My wife likes to ride in the Boxster, but will never drive it as she cannot drive stick and is so technically inept with anything mechanical that she could not be taught. Fine by me.

My wife is an oddity in that regard, she was driving a 5-spd. Integra when we met !

Perfectlap 03-13-2014 07:52 AM

So is your next gift to her a 60" LED, a sim racing rig, back yard batting cage, Kamado grill or a beer kegerator?

RawleyD 03-13-2014 08:35 AM

Surprised no one has asked for pics (or it didn't happen). :)

Taipanic 03-13-2014 08:43 AM

If you want your woman to enjoy a Boxster that she is not "afraid" of, get her a Tiptronic. While you can still push it hard, it's normal driving mode is more of a cruiser than with a stick, very non-scary. We have one of each, my girl will never drive the Manual S, absolutely loves her Tip and her driving style is slow and sure. She also really likes riding in the Cayenne Turbo we just picked up too.

thstone 03-13-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen wilson (Post 390867)
My wife is an oddity in that regard, she way driving a 5-spd. Integra when we met !

My wife has always driven a manual transmissin and never owned a car with an automatic, but she didn't like the Boxster at all. She does like the 996.