Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #1

Anybody live in Perth?

Like the question asks.. Anyone live in Perth? Getting approached to take a job there.

2004 Boxster S Anniversary Edition #1540 - My daily driver
2012 Mini Countryman S - Her daily driver
1966 Ford Mustang - Son's daily driver in 2026
TxAgs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #2

Which Perth ??? Big difference in each one.....

Perth Scotland?
Perth Australia?
Perth Ontario?
Perth(s) USA, Delaware / New York / North Dakota?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:14 AM   #3

If its Perth Australia you can't go wrong.
If your into surfing or kite surfing its heaven and thats from a East coast dude.
howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #4

Perth, Australia!

ya, I wasn't thinking clearly. Too much research going on! It looks awesome, but expensive.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 AM   #5

Garage
Red face Perth OZ

Yes I live in Perth. Awesome but expensive is about right. If you're earning plenty then no worries. Porsches are at least twice as expensive as in the US for example. Good local Porsche club.
Anything in particular you want to know?
Cheers
Dave_aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #6

Yes, I live in Perth.

Let me guess, you are an engineer with oil and / or gas industry experience?

I notice you are from Texas, you would probably fit in quite well here. Western Australia is like the Texas Down Under, we have iron ore and gas, a load of multi-millionaires and a couple of multi-billionaires that got wealthy from natural resources, hot summers, great beaches, hot women etc.

The downside is the high cost of living, high taxation (relative to the US) and the fact that our currency will probably continue to depreciate against the dollar effectively cutting your savings that I assume you will want to repatriate at some point.

If you are seriously considering a move here and you have specific questions feel free to PM me and I'll give you my email and phone number.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #7

Hey guys, thanks for the info.

I'm being pursued by a gas company from Japan - Inpex. They are interested in me coming in on a visa and potentiall going to full resident after a few years.

I'm trying to find out some good neighborhoods so I can start to get a handle on expenses. Their pay is much higher than here in Houston, but so are the costs and taxes.
I have a friend that is living in Peppermint Grove, but that is pretty "high on the hog". I was told to look at Claremont, Cottelsoe, Scarborough, and Mosman Park.

We live in a very average home in Texas, and there are only three of us. So, space isn't that critical. I just want to be near the beach/river and office which will be in St. Georges.

I haven't even been given an offer yet, I just want to do my research.

Jason
Old 03-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #8

Hi Jason

Yes, Peppermint Grove is the most exclusive area in Perth. For a spot of trivia, it is the only suburb where the garbage collectors come in to your yard and collect the trash, no putting it out on the kerb on trash day for you.

Areas to look at are Claremont and Cottesloe, still very expensive but very nice. Claremont would be my top choice. There is a train line running through these areas too, which would make for an easy trip into the city centre. I would avoid Scarborough, it looks nice on the map and it is coastal, however it attracts some of the wrong sort of people. If you take a map of perth and look at all the areas on the west side of the river as far north as City Beach and as far south as North Fremantle then it will be a decent area. Check out a website called realestate.com.au for a list of properties for sale or to rent. Prices are quoted weekly down here by the way. In those areas be prepared for around AUD800 per week rent, more if you want "luxury".

In terms of your salary, if it isn't more than 250k pre-tax including superannuation (money paid into a compulsory pension plan, currently 9.25% of salary) then you may really want to give this some serious thought. Dinner in a reasonable restaurant runs at AUD100 for a couple BEFORE buying wine which will cost you another $50 a bottle. Fortunately we don't tip here, we sometimes leave 5 or 10 if the waitstaff were nice but they are paid well and don't rely on tips. Drinking in bars is also expensive, a Corona runs anything from $7 to $10 for a 330ml bottle and be prepared for cocktails at $15 to $20 a piece.

On the plus side, the weather is fantastic and we have amazing beaches. I had a friend here visiting from Nice, France and he was photographing the beach at Cottesloe to send to his friends. HE certainly felt it was better than Côte d'Azure, I wouldn't go that far though. ;-) Also, we are rather close to Asia, so if you haven't traveled to the far east yet then you will have a chance living here.

As I said earlier, if you have any specific questions the fire away, more than happy to help.

Daniel
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #9

Hi all. Not from Australia but I spent a week in Freemantle /Perth when my U.S. Navy ship visited there in 1994. Our visit was welcome by all the locals and it was the hands down best time of a demanding deployment. Just last month it was on my mind and with the magic of Street view in Google maps, I cruised down some of the main streets and Pubs we stopped at, ahem, on occasion...

Great part of the world, great people. Sheilas... I know it's 20 years gone by but I gotta believe its much the same.

Hope this works out for you.

past: 2010 Boxster S

Last edited by turbo23dog; 03-13-2014 at 05:39 PM.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote