986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Touchy/jumpy throttle (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51072-touchy-jumpy-throttle.html)

TxAgs986 03-08-2014 04:38 AM

Touchy/jumpy throttle

Hey all,

Really loving my car. Just took it on a short distance drive over to San Antonio from Houston.

As I've gotten used to driving this clutch I have started encountering an odd problem. In 1st and 2nd gear, between 1-2k rpm, the throttle is extremely sensitive, especially in 1st. I've noticed it mostly in a parking lot situation where I have the clutch fully engaged and trying to drive slowly. If I just barely move my foot the car can start bucking wildly. If accelerating up to street speeds, no problem.

Any thoughts?

Jason

thstone 03-08-2014 06:00 AM

This is common. The engine doesn't really like very low RPM operation and will react quickly to even the smallest throttle input sometimes resulting in bucking as the engine increases RPM and the driver tries to ease off the throttle and back and forth.

One thing that I have found to help is to press the throttle at the very top. Since the throttle pedal is hinged at the bottom, this will give you more control for small throttle inputs.

TxAgs986 03-08-2014 07:10 AM

Nice tip! Thanks! I didn't think it was a real problem. I've had cars like this in the past, but they didn't have the torque of a flat six behind them.

BRAN 03-08-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxAgs986 (Post 390080)
Hey all,

Really loving my car. Just took it on a short distance drive over to San Antonio from Houston.

As I've gotten used to driving this clutch I have started encountering an odd problem. In 1st and 2nd gear, between 1-2k rpm, the throttle is extremely sensitive, especially in 1st. I've noticed it mostly in a parking lot situation where I have the clutch fully engaged and trying to drive slowly. If I just barely move my foot the car can start bucking wildly. If accelerating up to street speeds, no problem.

Any thoughts?

Jason

Maybe there is a "Sprint Booster" (changes the responsiveness of the gas pedal) installed?

Are you an experienced stick shift driver?
If yes, it takes 1 or 2 rides to get used to the Porsche.
If not, it might take a few days/weeks to find and know the sweet spot of the clutch/gas by heart, when shifting.

Anyways, Gute Fahrt! (sounds funny, I know) from Germany :cheers:

rick3000 03-08-2014 10:41 AM

These car do not like going under 10MPH, it takes some getting used to. Why are you at 1-2k RPM in 2nd gear?

TxAgs986 03-08-2014 07:19 PM

Thanks guys!

Yes, very experienced stick driver. RX7, G35, and Jetta sportwagen were my last few cars. I took a break for the last 3 years while I drove a TDI jetta.

I'm trying to keep the car in higher revs, but driving thru the parking garage at work makes me shift to 2nd to keep the engine noise down. We have parking garage monitors that will question why you were driving too aggressively.

Thanks!