Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #1

IMS didn't explode Good but leaking oil.

So after 125,000miles or so and counting my girl gave me the sign that its time for a new IMS/RMS. Oil on the floor and oil coming from the meeting point between the trans and the engine. I am so sad that the time has come to spend excessive amounts of money to keep her from exploding but i am happy she didn't explode. pictures are a bit crappy so sorry.

Well as of now I am just speculating that its the IMS/RMS because of the location of the leak I wont know until I remove the trans. I don't know when I will undergo this job or if I can even do it myself but I will read up on it and keep you guys posted.

Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #2

Garage
Just to make sure, check if the oil is not coming from the AOS area and dripping down around/through the transmission.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:37 AM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
If it just the RMS, then it is a pretty cheap job. If you've got the garage space and some time, it's not a bad DIY job.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #4

It'll be your best investment decision.........in exchange for worry free motoring
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn View Post
Just to make sure, check if the oil is not coming from the AOS area and dripping down around/through the transmission.
Thanks for the info I will take a closer look but the oil is all on the engine side not on the trans. But if it is the air oil sep then that could save me a couple of dollars until I have enough to do the ims along with the clutch and flywheel. Upgrade everything later on. I just don't want to put down my resources on the car at the moment.

Any way I will keep you guys posted.

Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote