Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #1

Miles and dollars: Boxster ownership vs. first car

I thought this might be interesting, once you account for purchase price, upgrades to have it as you like, as well as all maintenace and unexpected repairs, and then divide by the mileage on the odometer that you've clocked yourself, how much has it cost you to run the Boxster so far?

I purchased my Boxster S with 10% of its current mileage already onboard so I'm guessing I should exclude this mileage.

I get 0.73 cents per mile.

My first car, a Honda, adjusting for inflation, cost me 0.12 cents per mile. Never broke down once. Paint was shiny all the way until the end.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #2

Wouldn't it be impossible to know cost of ownership without selling it? If you're including purchase price you'd have to include residual, right?
OKCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #3

I'm making the assumption that you will not sell it and it was not purchased as an investment
(But I personally believe anything purchased that can be sold is an investment of capital, just not for this one discussion).

For myself, I'm trying to determine if in the case of the Boxster, the cost of running it goes down over time or if the trend goes the other way.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #4

If I am understanding your calculation I have spent $6.66 a mile. With cost and upgrades I am about 20K into the car and put about 3k miles on it.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheBound View Post
If I am understanding your calculation I have spent $6.66 a mile. With cost and upgrades I am about 20K into the car and put about 3k miles on it.
From this perspective it makes me consider if it's better to buy an older Boxster with light mileage but ample depreciation (because of the model year) to reduce the purchase price, vs. a newer Boxster with higher mileage, one that is closer to 'major maintenance' expenses territory, and a higher purchase price being from a newer model year.

Some people have said to me that I put too much money into the Boxster, but after a decade of ownership I'm doing the math and for a German car, on a mileage basis, it doesn't seem all that bad?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #6

I think you need to subtract out what you think you could sell the car for today. Otherwise your calculations do not make any sense, as your cost will always start out sky-high, and drop over time.
Example: purchase used car for $20K, drive it 1K mile in the first month. Cost per mile is $20 per mile. Continue to drive it 1K per month, and after a year your cost is now $1.66 per mile. That's a drastic difference when in reality, your cost per mile didn't really change much over that year.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

I am NEVER going to add up all the money I've spent on this car. I don't want to know and I certainly wouldn't want that information to fall into the wrong hands.

Made that mistake once back when I was into competitive shooting. I just about choked when I realized what my annual ammo cost came to. 6 days a week, 4 hours a night...

Last edited by Mark_T; 03-06-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #8

$1.60 per mile for the cost of the car plus my upgrades over my first 10,000 miles.

If we are talking operating cost I need to add fuel, insurance, fuel and licensing as well. Fuel $0.17 per mile, insurance + Lic $0.18 per mile

So in total $1.95 per mile.

Also works out to $1,053 per month for everything with unlimited miles.
Hmmmm, maybe leasing is better?

Of course the cost per mile shrinks if everything remains about the same and you're just getting more miles.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #9

Garage
My boxster is my firest car but i feel i would be in the green as all repairs have been virtually free with father working at the dealership and the fact i can easily resale my car for 2k or more over what i bought it for.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by demick View Post
I think you need to subtract out what you think you could sell the car for today. Otherwise your calculations do not make any sense, as your cost will always start out sky-high, and drop over time.
You mean kinda like paying interest on a mortgage.
Home sweet home.

This is where a car that claims to have good durability and build quality for such a high premium is proven. As we all know with these German cars cost of repairs do not scale down with time... so them parts need to last or your costs will always be pointing north. But no I'm not counting gas, insurance and gubimint fees, you're going to pay that no matter what you drive. Insurance costs were one reason I decided on going with a Porsche. In this state insuring a Porsche wasn't that much more expensive than insuring a new Accord.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-06-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #11

$1.32 per mile so far. 31k miles on the car since I bought it, $41k all in including purchase price and mods... only paid $15,500 for the car in 2004 ten years ago.

Wow. Just thought of something. I have driven the car from FL to TX, TX to NC to TX, TX to CA to NV to TX, and to the track and work on nice days... 3000 miles a year on average. That's not much considering all the cross country driving I've done in it.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-06-2014 at 01:11 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
My boxster is my firest car but i feel i would be in the green as all repairs have been virtually free with father working at the dealership and the fact i can easily resale my car for 2k or more over what i bought it for.
Yes but you've unfortunately platteaued too soon! It's like the guy who used to live in a studio apartment where his ktichen and shower were in the same room that now loves his 20K square foot mansion with the private golf course, infiniti pool and six car garage (or the equivalent of a high school kid driving a mid-engine Porsche ).
Versus the guy who only experienced the best right from the start, he's not going to be too impressed with much going forward. Was a Boxster the only car you've owned so far? Or did you have to start out with a beater for a few months?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #13

Who Cares

You own a man's toy. And as all toys, it's the fun of ownership and enjoyment. Now, the worst thing to own is a swimming pool.:ah:

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
You own a man's toy. And as all toys, it's the fun of ownership and enjoyment. Now, the worst thing to own is a swimming pool.:ah:
My friend with a boat wants to trade with you. And my co-worker with a horsey also wants in.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #15
Beginner

Garage
$200/mile @ 400 miles. Now leaking coolant from the left radiator. Still fun to drive! New radiator and heater core in the works.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
$200/mile @ 400 miles. Now leaking coolant from the left radiator. Still fun to drive! New radiator and heater core in the works.
Did the dash light go off or did you spot it on your own?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Yes but you've unfortunately platteaued too soon! It's like the guy who used to live in a studio apartment where his ktichen and shower were in the same room that now loves his 20K square foot mansion with the private golf course, infiniti pool and six car garage (or the equivalent of a high school kid driving a mid-engine Porsche ).
Versus the guy who only experienced the best right from the start, he's not going to be too impressed with much going forward. Was a Boxster the only car you've owned so far? Or did you have to start out with a beater for a few months?
My philosophy was that either A. Ill never own another and at least I can enjoy it while young (y'all have proven you never get too old to enjoy a car though) or B. most people only move up from their first car and many Porsche owners once they own one they will convince themselves to buy another down the road. So the insurance of catching the bug young is great. I practiced in the mothers 2010 Camry starting spring 2013 drove whatever else I had the chance (lots of jeeps and trucks from the fam, toss in an el camino) got the boxster late October 2013 drove with supervision untill late December and now I drive to school (when it doesn't rain) and frequently with supervision as apposed to without on the weekends to church or just to road trip. But yes the boxster is in everysense my first car.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Nice! I just replaced my left radiator this weekend, easy-peasy. Looked like mine took one too many low speed bumps in it's life time. Man, the bottom of my bumper cover is sooooo ugly...
Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #19

OK then, let's look at $$/mile. This should be interesting.
2000 Boxster S
Car 9500 after taxes.
Tires 450
Back up switch 25
Aftermarket rad 90
P-coolant 50
EDIT: almost forgot, really nice used oem headlight set, 250. old set was completely melted...

About to turn 5k miles. Driven weekly since August/2013

$ 2.02 / mile. EDIT after headlights, 2.07/mile

Subaru Legacy/ DD for 12 years
$24k new
maybe 2500 in repairs
few sets of tires 1500
about 160k on the clock

0.17 cents/ mile wow!
Of course the Subaru is a much rougher estimate.

But.. Driving the Legacy has never given me the type of thrills the Boxster has in such a short time.

Last edited by RawleyD; 03-06-2014 at 09:48 PM.
RawleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #20
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Did the dash light go off or did you spot it on your own?
Spotted a puddle on the flooor and its actually $20, not $200!