Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #1

2000 Boxster No Start

Purchased a low mileage used Boxster approximately 2 months ago. Car has been running fine and enjoyed a nice top down drive to work here in Nor Cal. Come out from work and attempt to start car. Starter turned over as usual and engine seemed like it bogged down, stepped on gas to try and catch the start but engine died. Starter turns over fine but engine would not catch. Immediately checked corresponding and associated fuses...fuel pump, alarm etc; and all looked fine. All other electrics work fine but engine simply will not catch. No check engine light either.

I have a Durametric Pro and will see if there are any faults but there is no check engine light. Think gas gauge is good...have run it down close to empty a few times but never really close and gauge does not seem like it is hanging.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts might be? Fuel pump? Clogged fuel line? If immobilizer is engaged, would the starter turn over and the engine just not start? Ignition switch seems to be looser then it was, for some reason, in position 2 and 3. Have two keys and neither allowed engine to engage

Thinking I will disconnect and connect battery in morning and see if something just needs to be reset, check for fault codes, and if I still can't find the culprit, then tow off to Porsche dealer... :-(

Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #2

1. How old is battery? It could be suspect. Have it checked. I don't know what the threshold voltage is to wake up Boxster ECU. On my Alfa, it is possible to crank the motor but if battery voltage falls below 10.6Vdc, the ECU will not initialize and allow car to start.

2. Think hard about gas...are you positive you know have adequate fuel?

3. Crank position sensor is notorious for "Car ran fine, Car will not start" issues.

4. Ignition switch is suspect but I don't recall it showing up as a no start, just weird issues or not being able to remove the key.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #3

Garage
Guessing your fuel pump has died. The fuel rail has a schrader valve on it. Remove the cap & press the valve to release some pressure & fuel. If no fuel is present the pump has probably died. When you run the tank low on fuel the pump can overheat.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #4

Garage
could be battery, when looking to buy a boxster one of the cars we came across would crank but not start. Was the battery. Father had to get the guys car started so we could look at it. Safe to say, we didnt buy that car haha.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Boxster S Bassist

Have you checked to learn if the switch that actuates when you push in the clutch pedal is broken? I had this on my car and my mech simply bypassed it!
John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #6

Garage
My only ... no start but crank ... situation turned out to be Fuel Pump Relay. When It got hot, car died, starved for fuel. You can jumper the relay to listen if fuel pump activates and or start the car.

This is a common thread and there are many paths that can lead to this situation
Old 02-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

Followup....

This morning...fletbedded my car home...longshot 30 sec disconnect of battery had no affect. Following some of the suggestions

- Hooked up Schaumacker battery charger to battery and charger said 12v but 40% charged after trying to start last night and a few attempts today. Battery unknown age.

- Believe I found the schrader valve if it's the tab that the gas cap looks like it touches. Grounded flathead screwdriver and pushed on tab...absolutely no preassure release or gas. Come to think of it, haven't noticed preassure release in the last few fillups.
--Corresponding note to this. Have had fuel fillup issues since I purchased vehicle. Close to second or third fillup, actually overfilled tank to point that fuel kicked back out of the tube. I know now, very bad idea but did not know then....this was corresponding to my fuel fill issues. Now I can fill to maybe 3/4....sometimes pretty close.

Now will keep car with more gas then I have in the past once I get it running again.

- Could try fuel pump relay when I find out where it is. Think fuel pump is a little more then I'd like to try

- I've heard that if you have someone crank car with gas cap off vehicle, you should be able to hear fuel pump through filler tube of you listen at tube, is this true?

I've got 24 hours and then things are pretty busy for me for the next 10 days and won't be dealing with this until timeframe is over. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Have a really good independent that I will take car to if I'm still having issues after this timeframe. Will keep all posted.

Oh, Durametric computer is busy with other tasks right now. Haven't been able to check for codes yet.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #8

Fixed...

Issue turned out to be fuel pump bad. Flatbedded car to independent garage RMG Sunnyvale, CA. Bob is the best. Told him what I had tried. Turned out to be bad fuel pump; pump replaced. Car is back under spirited power.