Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 04:06 AM   #1

Roof tension cable query

I've just bought a 2002 Boxster 2.7 and although it's in excellent condition there are a couple of minor problems I need to fix.

One of them is with regard to the roof: whenever it closes the R/H tension cable sits outside of the window seal channel. No biggie as I'm learning to just reach up and gently guide it into place correctly before the roof fully closes (easy for me as I'm in the UK and so that's the same side as the driving seat), but what's the cause and the proper fix?

Thanks,

Rob

Obertelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #2

I had that problem and it turned out to be a spring clip on the inside installed incorrectly. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember the details and I don't have a pic, but maybe that will point you in the right direction. Maybe do a side-to-side comparison to see if you can spot a difference.

I think this has come up a couple of times, not recently though. Try doing a forum search going back a couple of years. I think there was some info posted on fixing this.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obertelli View Post
I've just bought a 2002 Boxster 2.7 and although it's in excellent condition there are a couple of minor problems I need to fix.

One of them is with regard to the roof: whenever it closes the R/H tension cable sits outside of the window seal channel. No biggie as I'm learning to just reach up and gently guide it into place correctly before the roof fully closes (easy for me as I'm in the UK and so that's the same side as the driving seat), but what's the cause and the proper fix?

Thanks,

Rob
I have the same issue just I have a US car. Thankfully I am very tall and have long arms haha. It feels like the right just has less tension to it.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #4

Garage

You can see where it usually sits... PO never bothered to guide it into the lip so now the car has a beauty mark from the top always covering here haha.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

Garage

took the time to get down to my engine today to check my air filter and all... but when doing so i found this.

The right side (the side that doesnt fit into the track) ball bearing had came out with the screw..... screwed it back in assuming this would fix the top not fitting properly... but nope, the top still needs my assistance to go in the track. Any ideas on what can fix it?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #6

Yes, I posted a suggestion above. Do a side to side comparison of the mechanism inside around where the sliders are located. You might find a flat spring installed incorrectly and fixing this may fix your problem. Sorry, wish I could be more precise but this happened a while ago and I don't remember the specifics,
Old 02-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Yes, I posted a suggestion above. Do a side to side comparison of the mechanism inside around where the sliders are located. You might find a flat spring installed incorrectly and fixing this may fix your problem. Sorry, wish I could be more precise but this happened a while ago and I don't remember the specifics,
Thanks, Mark_T, that's it exactly. The flat spring holds a fabric tab in place, and mine needs to be inserted further under the spring. I'll dig out my Torx bits later on and get fettling.
Obertelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:24 AM   #8

I had this problem with my 2002S since I bought it almost four years ago. Replaced the top and still have the problem. Fortunately I have long arms and can reach to guide it into place. Parked next to a 2005 the other day and it had the same issue. Maybe this is a common problem?

opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote