Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
North East UK

wheel started fouling liner?

Afternoon guys.
A question for you. My boxster has started to foul the wheel liner on the front left, just at the rear on the small liner section. If you look at the attached picture the red arrow shows where it fouls when turning left. Can I remove this lining, I'm worried about the pipes arrowed in green. I'm not sure why this has started to happen either, but I do find the car slightly wandering to the left now if that helps?

Thanks guys.
Paul

BoxPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Soft suspension, sagging liner, or too big wheels.

By fouling, you mean rubbing?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
North East UK

Yes, rubbing. The wheels are stock and it never used to happen. What if I was fro remove that part of the liner, not recommended?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxPaulie View Post
Yes, rubbing. The wheels are stock and it never used to happen. What if I was fro remove that part of the liner, not recommended?
Do not remove the liner, it is there for a reason. If your wheel and tire combination is hitting, something has changed in the suspension and you need to have it looked at.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Not sure what "lol" refers to here. The quoted post contained nothing but an accurate observation and good advice based in it.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Do not remove the liner, it is there for a reason. If your wheel and tire combination is hitting, something has changed in the suspension and you need to have it looked at.
Agree. If tires are same and now there's rubbing and alignment issues, and you can't check it yourself, it needs to be checked sooner than later.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
North East UK

Thanks guys. I was hoping to get a heads up on it before I take it in as I'm worried I will get ripped off, what with owning a nice car!

I have checked for movement in the bearings, there is nothing hitting the wheel in terms of pipes or cables. What I did do was paint the rear of the liner with paint, take it for a spin to replicate the nose and then check it out again. I could see some of my paint rubbed away, so I'm hoping that is the culprit.

Could being out of alignment be the cause? Like I say it does pull to the left a tad when on a straight road.

I was debating removing that part of the liner and seeing if it made a difference just to confirm, but I was worried white as behind it and that the wheel would foul some pipes.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
Not sure what "lol" refers to here. The quoted post contained nothing but an accurate observation and good advice based in it.
Used to mean "lots of love", then it meant "laugh out loud", now it means "I'm a troll".
Old 02-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #9

has the ride height changed while the car is standing still? what suspension setup are u using?

if there is no change in height while standing still (and nothing has changed in your setup & wheels/combo).... maybe your rear strut has failed or lost its oil in the damper.
BTfd2e93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
North East UK

Thanks guys.
The car is totally stock, wheels and suspension. The ride height has not changed. Also it is the front left that I am talking about the fouling, not the rear. Basically hard breaking or speed while going left creates the scraping.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #11

Could it be that the liner needs adjusting to prevent the wheel from rubbing it?

Has anyone else driven your car lately?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxPaulie View Post
"but I do find the car slightly wandering to the left now if that helps? "
Perhaps you have a worn out bushing or a tie rod that went south...

You can raise that corner and move the wheel by hand looking for axial play, if not try prying between the subframe and the control arm..

If one of these are bad, most likely the other side will follow soon, it should not be a biggie to fix, then get an alignment afterwards.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:07 AM   #13
Beginner

Garage
Check the liner to make sure it is installed correctly. It may have been taken out and poorly re-installed, or it may be coming loose. That would be an easy fix. If not then the suspension is suspect. More complicated, but that really has to be right for handling tire wear and safety. Removing the part of the liner that is rubbing only fixes a symptom and temporarily hides the real problem. Doing that may cause much bigger problems in the future. Best to fix it right up front to avoid future headaches.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #14

If you decide to replace the liner... I replaced my liner on one side and it was very easy. I also recommend replacing all the tabs/clips. I hope the alignment issue is resolved first.

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
North East UK

I'm going to remove the small liner that is getting fouled, just to see for sure. Once I can confirm for definite that is where the noise is coming from ill take it in. Any advice on that small separate section of liner removal?