Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Drive cycle question

I need to get the EVAP SYS and SECONDARY, from "Not Ready" to "Ready" for Texas inspection. Anyone have insight in what is required while driving to achieve that in the driving cycle? I actually went the speed of light at one point (with de-snorkeling and punching holes in my muffler) +25 hp, and that was not enough.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

Garage
According to The Bentley manual, it takes three complete drive cycles to clear the MIL. It takes 40 fault free drive cycles to clear the memory for a non catalyst damaging fault and 80 fault free drive cycles for a catalyst damaging fault. A drive cycle is defined as a cold start and engine oil temp brought up to 160F at least 40F above it's starting temp. I would suggest starting the engine cold, allow it to warm up for a couple minutes then take it for a 20 to 30 min. drive, shut down allow to cool and do again 39 more times. Enjoy the ride!
ELoomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

My friend went through this after disconnecting the battery over the winter (which is why it is not recommended). In his case, it took over two weeks of weekend driving cycles to get the car "ready". Not only is this an emissions problem, but it re-sets the ECU to default, so you have no idea if it had been compensating for unknown issues.

Good luck and only driving will get you "ready".
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

My sympathys are with you bro'.

This is a royal PITA, but this BMW drive cycle worked for me on the first time:

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/OBDproc.pdf

There is a graph in this document showing what time at speeds that need to be maintained to clear the checks, and it works. Note that you have to start with the engine dead cold, and you cannot exceed 3000 RPM or 60 MPH, or the whole cycle is void and you have to start over.

I had to do mine on a Saturday morning at around 6:00 AM to have light enough traffic that I would not get run over doing 60 MPH on I-85! My normal shift point is about 4,000 RPM, so that was no fun either.

Good luck.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote