986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Buying a Boxster S, need some help (Atlanta/Marietta) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/50863-buying-boxster-s-need-some-help-atlanta-marietta.html)

TerryT 02-20-2014 04:30 AM

Buying a Boxster S, need some help (Atlanta/Marietta)

Hi, I am planning on buying a Boxster S in Georgia but live in Florida and can't have a look before purchasing.

Carfax looks good ... but you never know.

Anyone know a good company in the area to do a quick inspection on the car for me ?

Or would anyone in the area be willing to go round and kick the tires and do a test drive for me just to make sure that the car and the dealer are on the up and up ?

Thanks
Terry

Timco 02-20-2014 04:54 AM

Sight unseen? No.

Fly to an area. Spend a week. That's what I did in L.A. Bought the best car I had ever imagined getting, second to last day there. Drove 15+. Don't be in a hurry.

TerryT 02-20-2014 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 387612)
Sight unseen? No.

Fly to an area. Spend a week. That's what I did in L.A. Bought the best car I had ever imagined getting, second to last day there. Drove 15+. Don't be in a hurry.

Thanks Timco, I just don't have the time... but I hear you and in a perfect world I would do that.
I did buy my last Boxster sight unseen too and that turned out great, albeit for an unexpected oil leak which I am hoping to avoid this time.

I would really just like a validity check to see if the car is what it is and the dealer is legit.

Cheers
Terry

dennis26 02-20-2014 05:04 AM

Are you looking at a dealer or private ?

TerryT 02-20-2014 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis26 (Post 387615)
Are you looking at a dealer or private ?

Hi, I am looking to buy from a Dealer.

dennis26 02-20-2014 05:23 AM

Jim Ellis or Hennessy ? Which car ? Might be able to make a run over on Sat.

TerryT 02-20-2014 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis26 (Post 387618)
Jim Ellis or Hennessy ? Which car ? Might be able to make a run over on Sat.

Hi Dennis, I have just inbox'ed you.
Thank you
Terry

Perfectlap 02-20-2014 07:26 AM

If you get the inspection ask for a leak down test too. That will shed some light on how the car has been treated or if you have a problem that a compression test might miss.

Jake Raby 02-20-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 387632)
If you get the inspection ask for a leak down test too. That will shed some light on how the car has been treated or if you have a problem that a compression test might miss.

And have them pull the oil sump plate to look for debris as well as the bottom of the oil filter housing before the oil is dumped out. These two things are the windows into the soul of an M96/97 engines'e health. They won't do it unless you request it. Get pics and post them.

nobrakes 02-20-2014 10:43 AM

I live in north Metro Atlanta. I could possibly look at the car Saturday for you.......Im not a wrench, but I could certainly fill you in on how the car is cosmetically and how it drives etc. Where in Atlanta is the car. I have an 02 S.