Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #21
DIY extremist

For me, the tech is great as long as it's controllable.

I've been injured very badly in a crash (I was hit broadside on a motorbike by a driver going too fast and lost control of a 4000 lb 90s sedan) and nearly lost my left leg. Not getting hurt again is a big priority, which is why I switched from Ducati to Porsche.

When I am out in the world, it's nice to have some aids to keep things from getting hairy. I am really happy to have PSM in my '08 Box S for the street. I've taken it out to big empty parking lot and tried to get it to lose control. It doesn't, even when cranking the wheel at 50 MPH, as long as the PSM is on. Turn if off and.... time for autocross!

Seriously though, give me all the stability related gizmos, please. Leave them on for the street and off on the track. I like fast cars, and have never come close to crashing one, but you never know what's going to happen when you roll the dice with other drivers and road conditions.

My $0.02...

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Have any of you read the article "Shades of 1978" in the February Panomara magazine? Are you a Technologist or a Simplifier? I'm a Simplifier and my non-PASM 6 speed manual Boxster S fits my needs perfectly. Even though the Boxster is a better car in almost every way then my old SC I still miss how simple and visceral that car was compared to the Boxster. I just don't ever see myself owning a PDK Porsche or Porsche with all the drivers aids. While they often are superior numbers cars and the Technologist love them for me it is about the driving experience a Porsche offers. I hope Porsche will continue to offer drivers cars but right now I'm a little concerned with the direction Porsche is going.

Are you a Technologist or a Simplifier? Is your Boxster the best Porsche drivers car or will you one day go for a newer more technology laden Porsche?
Simplifier! Hate these new cars where you have to push 2 or more buttons to achieve 1 function. I love the simple interior in my 2000 "S". Also love it's front lights integrated into 1 unit, limiting further paint interruptions. Hate cars where you have to control everything from a central touch screen. Eliminate the middle man!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
True they do but for the enthusiast looking for something simple and truly engaging that is not the case . While there are many enthusiast on this forum there are not nearly enough for the typical manufacter to pay attention as there is no real money in it. Most car buyers want something to meet there everyday needs which generally does not include their car being engaging and perhaps visceral.
On the one hand, I agree.

On the other, how many oven enthusiasts are there? Surely most people want a modern oven that majors on convenience? And yet Aga still does a roaring trade in Luddite ovens.

Like I said, for many products there's a market for elegant, classic if perhaps less user friendly options. But somehow not cars.