986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   PSM - is this just about cornering? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/50413-psm-just-about-cornering.html)

tomc88 01-21-2014 12:17 PM

PSM - is this just about cornering?

Is PSM just about keeping you on the road during cornering?

If I wheel spin when on a straight - say if put foot down and surface is a bit slippery (wet or slight gravel, say)
or from a standing start (again from a less than grippy surface)

- should the 986 wheel spin or should PSM or some other electronics prevent all wheel spin

woodsman 01-21-2014 12:53 PM

good question. Does yours spin?

jacabean 01-21-2014 01:01 PM

PSM adjusts for any wheel slippage , cuts power and tries to keep you on the correct path.

tomc88 01-21-2014 01:04 PM

I haven't had car long - and though I have thought about this I haven't actually tried !
I put my foot down a lot but never pushed hard.

So I thought - I'd give it a go tonight - I made a very half hearted lame effort
-road was wet but the wheels just wouldn't spin. I could probably have tried harder.
This thing has phenomenal grip.
If this was my wife's BMW 325 the wheels would spin and a warning light would come up

tomc88 01-21-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacabean (Post 382223)
PSM adjusts for any wheel slippage , cuts power and tries to keep you on the correct path.

so in theory on the straight for from standing I could floor the pedal and dump the clutch and even on a slippery surface the wheels won't spin (it will reduce the power)

JFP in PA 01-21-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomc88 (Post 382228)
so in theory on the straight for from standing I could floor the pedal and dump the clutch and even on a slippery surface the wheels won't spin (it will reduce the power)

No, PSM is stability management, not traction control. The PSM looks for erratic wheel speeds and yaw in the body attitude, and tries to correct for yaw angles beyond a preset limit. So it would try to keep you from going butt end first in a dirty corner, but it will not correct for one wheel spinning while the car is stationary.

woodsman 01-21-2014 01:49 PM

-------------------

husker boxster 01-21-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomc88 (Post 382228)

Just be careful dumping the clutch. They're not out of a big hairy muscle car. Do it too many times in a row and you'll be contacting your indie to schedule a clutch replacement.

fatmike 01-21-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 382253)
No, PSM is stability management, not traction control. The PSM looks for erratic wheel speeds and yaw in the body attitude, and tries to correct for yaw angles beyond a preset limit. So it would try to keep you from going butt end first in a dirty corner, but it will not correct for one wheel spinning while the car is stationary.

This.

I like that you don't really notice it, until you do -- and it saves your bacon.

/

tomc88 01-22-2014 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 382274)
Just be careful dumping the clutch. They're not out of a big hairy muscle car. Do it too many times in a row and you'll be contacting your indie to schedule a clutch replacement.

That's in fact one of the reasons I haven't pushed my car into wheelspin (as well as cost of tyres, our narrow UK roads and other reasons)!