986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Just bought my 996tt and driving her home. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/50356-just-bought-my-996tt-driving-her-home.html)

Ckrikos 01-18-2014 01:16 PM

Just bought my 996tt and driving her home.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/19/5a7utuqe.jpg

Took a break as i have been driving all day.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

BYprodriver 01-18-2014 01:19 PM

Looking good (seeing thru the dust) anxious to hear impressions. :cool:

pothole 01-18-2014 01:27 PM

LOve a bit of dirty Pork. 996 Tubbie is such a looker.

CrashTest 01-18-2014 01:28 PM

Nice color, and have fun with the restful sleep the Metzger motor brings (tongue-in-cheek).

healthservices 01-18-2014 01:36 PM

:cheers: Sweet!

woodsman 01-18-2014 02:10 PM

Okay, I'm jealous! Await your comments after the long drive home...

Ckrikos 01-18-2014 05:03 PM

I finally got home. The car was great. I had the shop that did the ppi do some minor maintenance since labor is a little cheaper in pittsburgh. Mechanically she drove great and has plenty of power. I only felt up to .4 bar it pushes upto .9, i cant believe the balls the tt has. I didnt get to push the car much in the twisties as the weather didn't permit, but it definitely doesn't feel as nimble as my boxster. Also i hate the short shifter. I bought a 997 shifter to replace it. On the other hand i really liked the bose stereo. Im going to be putting a double dinn in.

I got a great deal on the car and even better after factoring in the sale of my boxster. I wanted a cosmetically cleaner car, but that would have cost me. Im taking the car to get a car wash in the morning then breaking out the porter cable and some cutting pads. I am going to town on swirl city.

bmarti13 01-18-2014 05:39 PM

Jealous

Congrats! I am thinking of making a similar move. Selling the boxster and getting a C4s. Love the wide body, but the turbo is a bit out of my price range. Keep us posted on further impressions of your upgrade. Is it worth the extra cash? I'm hoping it will be!

BruceH 01-18-2014 05:48 PM

Congrats on finding one! Great color!

Ckrikos 01-18-2014 06:07 PM

A very clean low mileage c4s is very close in price to a 996tt. I got my 02 for 38 with 49k miles and after factoring in the sale of my 986 I was in the mid 20's. I was going to buy an x50 03 w/30k miles super clean 996tt for another 10, but I couldn't justify it and anyway the dealer sold the car to someone else, they wouldn't hold a deposit for more than 24 hours. I have to renovate a bath for my wife so couldn't stretch the budget much anyway. Mechanically my car is great, I will just need to hunt a few interior trim parts down on eBay, repaint my calipers, and spend two weeks buffing the car to clean it up (one hour a day). Also my kids will be taking trips with me so a very clean car would just get ruined anyway. The hp wasn't really a factor for me coming from a 2.7 anything was faster and I am not a street racer. I just wanted a mechanically sound car, no IMS worries with this car. Don't get me wrong the TT has its own issues, rattling timing chains, porous heads on some 01's, oil leaks, coolant pipe leaks, but for the most part they are very reliable cars. The motors are over engineers with modified turbo' sand ecus these cars can produce 600-700 hp on stock internals. I'm leaving mine alone at 420, so expect it to be solid. Also mine appeared to be driven by an old lady 7500 type 1 ignitions and 75 type 2 in 1600 hours of runtime. My boxster had 11k type 1 ignitions with the same mileage. Then again you don't really need to push this car to get it to go fast. I had all the power I needed in 5th gear driving home and 6th was just too tall going slower than 60 would lug the motor.

jeffm 01-19-2014 04:13 AM

Congrats on the new car! I've been following your posts and definitely like this one better than the Camry beige :)

Since buying my Boxster a year ago, I've been lurking around the Rennlist forums and looking around at a few 996's. I just bought a black '99 996 with PSM and full leather interior. Due to vacation this week, and travel the follow 2 weeks, I unfortunately have to have it shipped home.

I hope to post some pics, then it'll be time to sell the Box.

Congrats again.

Ckrikos 01-19-2014 05:10 AM

Congrats on the 996. I was considering a 99 also. I had found a silver with black leather and silver painted sport seats. I liked that the car could be driven like my boxster, were as the turbo is a completely different animal. Haha "camry beige". I liked that car for how clean it was to much underbody rust on the tt can play havoc on the turbos with rusted shut wastegates. That car sat in a bubble for 13 years.

coreseller 01-19-2014 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckrikos (Post 381712)
A very clean low mileage c4s is very close in price to a 996tt. I got my 02 for 38 with 49k miles and after factoring in the sale of my 986 I was in the mid 20's. I was going to buy an x50 03 w/30k miles super clean 996tt for another 10, but I couldn't justify it and anyway the dealer sold the car to someone else, they wouldn't hold a deposit for more than 24 hours.

Glad to see you got it Ckrikos. I think you made the right choice, never thought of it but you are right, C4S money is comparable to TT prices. If you pulled the trigger on a C4S it likely would of nagged at you lol. When I decided to get out of the Boxster and upgrade to a 911 I had firm figures in mind, Box Sale price plus X for a 996 or Box sale price plus 1.5X for a 993, it worked out fine in the end. Enjoy the TT......:cheers:

heliguy 01-19-2014 06:00 AM

Please post lotsa pics after you clean it up...interior, exterior.

Boxtaboy 01-19-2014 02:23 PM

Congrats CK! You have to bring it to the next TSBL at Gundo's!

Ckrikos 01-19-2014 02:38 PM

Hey Rich, thanks i definitely will. I hope you and becky are doing well.

I detailed the interior today and it is like new, it just needs a new handbrake and shifter. Now the exterior. I also need to clean out the radiators.

patssle 01-19-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Also i hate the short shifter. I bought a 997 shifter to replace it.
I hated the short shifter on my Boxster initially. But after a few weeks it became 2nd nature (after many fails of 2nd to 3rd gear getting stuck). Almost a year later now I have no complaints...I actually like it!

Ckrikos 01-19-2014 08:08 PM

I drove it today and liked it a little better. I think I have gears 1-4, but 5 and 6, I need to work on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ckrikos 01-20-2014 08:24 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/21/e8yba4u4.jpg

Here is a picture after the car wash. I was detailing the interior. I still need to wash the carpets. Today i started on the paint as the interior looks great. I used a yellow pad to cut into the clear coat. That removed 90% of the swirls and scratches but leaves a haze. The haze is polished out in subsequent buffing with less abrasive pads. Then after 2-3 coats of klasse sg.

I also placed an order. For a gg dark wood hand brake. Got a new one for 99 and a gg aluminum turbo shifter. The wood ebrake will suffice for now until i repair the original or buy a leather aluminum brake. $99 is a great deal compared to 500 at suncoast. I also ordered some clear sidemarkers and am going to get a local guy to paint a center console for me and bumperettes.

jeffm 01-21-2014 07:32 AM

Just bought my 996tt and driving her home.

That looks fantastic!
My 996 is shipping out today and I can't wait for it to arrive next week. I have the full leather interior, but it in beige and I feel it needs a little contrast. I hope to put a few black accents and the shifter is one of them. Where did you get one for 99 bucks?

Here's a pic from the dealer:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/ubyje4us.jpg