986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   2000S vs 2005S exhaust differences ?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/50274-2000s-vs-2005s-exhaust-differences.html)

Drphil 01-13-2014 10:53 AM

2000S vs 2005S exhaust differences ??

does anyone know if i can put a Borla system that was on a 2005S, onto my
2000S? This is just the mufflers, tips etc. not the headers or the intermediary pipes.
I have 200 cell sport cat headers from Maxspeed going on it and was going to put secondary cat delete pipes on it, back to either a dansk sport or the maxspeed setup, but i have a local shop that took this 1 year old Borla off another clients car. can be had with all the K&N intake set up for $500. but i dont know if there is a difference in the pipe size or bends, or even the location of the muffler brackets etc.

thanks for the advice.
\
DrPhil

BYprodriver 01-13-2014 12:11 PM

Not a easy bolt on at all. 987 muffler is integral with secodary pipes & cats. Don't know what the Borla looks like but I'm sure install would require custom fabricated pipes to connect to 987 muffler. 986 Borla is 1 of the loudest made so you may not want it any way. Do it nice or do it twice!

rp17 01-13-2014 03:21 PM

986 mufflers don't work with 987 mufflers. Two different part numbers on amazon for the borla and even for the top speed on eBay. Don't think its going to work.

The Radium King 01-13-2014 03:38 PM

you have to go all 986 or all 987 for it to work.

Drphil 01-15-2014 04:45 AM

thanks

well that what i was afraid of, i could have used it i think if i went all 987 stuff from front to back, but my i already have my headers from maxspeed, so i think i will get the secondary cat eliminator pipes and put on a SS Dansk sport hi-flow muffler, more quiet than the borla but brings out a nice sound on acceleration from what i have been told, and a lot less than other systems. even Maxspeed's i have heard had a tendancy toward a drone which i do not want.

if anyone has input based on experience with the dansk or other options especially with or with out the secondary cat i'd like to hear it.

Phil

BYprodriver 01-15-2014 06:53 AM

Best setup available if cost is a factor:

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1389801175.jpg

MNICEBOX 01-15-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drphil (Post 381054)
well that what i was afraid of, i could have used it i think if i went all 987 stuff from front to back, but my i already have my headers from maxspeed, so i think i will get the secondary cat eliminator pipes and put on a SS Dansk sport hi-flow muffler, more quiet than the borla but brings out a nice sound on acceleration from what i have been told, and a lot less than other systems. even Maxspeed's i have heard had a tendancy toward a drone which i do not want.

if anyone has input based on experience with the dansk or other options especially with or with out the secondary cat i'd like to hear it.

Phil

I have the Maxspeed 200 cell sport cats and cat delete bypass pipes on a 2003S with a Porsche Sport Muffler- as others have said, you probably would need custom fabrication as the Borla is set up for 987 pipes. Dansk is probably a good way to go- PSM absolutely the best, but pricey. PSM has nice sound and absolutely no drone.

Importantly, you WILL throw a CEL by using the 200 CEL high flow primary cats and secondary cat delete pipes. If others (including Maxspeed) tell you otherwise, they're ill informed. These OBD II emissions systems are really sensitive to changes -it is hit or miss as to what type of set-up will/will not cause a CEL. I spent a lot of time trying to get rid of it (modified the O2 sensor bungs, etc.)- the only foolproof and permanent way is to reprogram your ECU - a std. ROW tune should do it.