986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Battery Maintainer (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/5022-battery-maintainer.html)

luxury1 02-07-2006 11:37 AM

Battery Maintainer

For those of you using a battery maintainer, which one did you get?

I received a paper with the car when I bought it for a "Porsche Battery Maintainer" (Part # 000 043 202 56) for $86.11.

Online Porsche has one for $130 called the Charge-o-mat II. Link:
http://shop22.porsche.com/usa/product2.asp?dept%5Fid=50040&pf%5Fid=955+044+900+1 5&MSCSProfile=61E4CECF7275066FD87B9817DA5865CB9780 4801B7F3FDDBB4FB9A70D10A2F093EB220CD90B2A814981448 982725D4D2475F22E0C4DD014FB4E06B577DA54387830C5BB7 E26D6AAD2BB85861D06F14A6553C192801ED3D1666D1196DDD 1E0AF1DD98262C9CE6FF69FE04008A5838055B2752E360B2B9 32AA80EF2AF366FCC061EF293FD39F94DB0D

I did a search and read that some people are using Suncoast.

Does anyone have any input?

BadBoyS 02-07-2006 11:44 AM

Using the Battery Tender Brand on all three cars. Long winters in Nothern Ohio. Have been using the tenders for years with out any problems. Even use on one my motorcycle. I have had a buddy use the Harbor Freight cheapo brand and it cooked his battery. Buyer beware........

:cheers:

MNBoxster 02-07-2006 12:15 PM

Hi,

I just use a Schumacher which cost maybe $25. It's 6 or 7 years old now and I use it to keep several batteries fresh thorugh the Winter by wiring them in series (removed from the Car). Works great, never killed a Battery. It can also be used in situ, but you have to raise the hood.

Despite their widespread popularity, I am extremely distrustful of the ones which plug into the Lighter socket. If you check the Wiring Schematics, the Lighter Circuit is not directly routed to the Battery. The Juice flows all sorts of places first before reaching the Battery, and all you need is one short in the Wiring Harness and you could Fry the DME or some other mega-expensive component.

I'm probably being over-cautious, but I take the time to connect directly to the Battery, takes only a couple minutes and gives me peace of mind in a sort of Better Safe than Sorry way...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

donv 02-07-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Despite their widespread popularity, I am extremely distrustful of the ones which plug into the Lighter socket. If you check the Wiring Schematics, the Lighter Circuit is not directly routed to the Battery. The Juice flows all sorts of places first before reaching the Battery, and all you need is one short in the Wiring Harness and you could Fry the DME or some other mega-expensive component.

I'm probably being over-cautious, but I take the time to connect directly to the Battery, takes only a couple minutes and gives me peace of mind in a sort of Better Safe than Sorry way...

Hi, does it matter whether that juice is coming from the battery end or the lighter socket end? Meaning, in either way, whatever circuits are live or shorted are getting power from one end of the connection or the other - from the battery end or the lighter plug, right? The current from a Charge-O-Mat is really small compared with a standard charger too. The same short will be there in the spring even if you pull the battery in the winter, so I'm not sure I understand the electrical advantages of avoiding the Charge-O-Mat.

Now, on the other hand, I do understand the idea that charging a non-sealed battery while in a stationary car (as in storage) might lead to corrosive outgassing which can eat parts you care about... but that is simply an argument for or against pulling the battery, not the method of charge.

And yes, I use the Porsche Charge-O-Mat lighter plug maintainer ;) . Works like a charm and it was trivially easy to take a midwinter drive recently when the weather cooperated - just unplugged the C-O-M to leave and popped it back in when I came home - no dirty hands required.

fab 02-07-2006 02:53 PM

I have to agree with Don. I also have the Porsche Charge-O-Mat lighter plug maintainer (purchased @ Suncoast). Easiest thing ever...and I've had no problems. We've had some nice sunny days so out came the Porsche. :)
Simple unplug start and go......Ready to put it away :( pop it back in.

Fab
00 Boxster blk/blk

MNBoxster 02-07-2006 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donv
Hi, does it matter whether that juice is coming from the battery end or the lighter socket end? Meaning, in either way, whatever circuits are live or shorted are getting power from one end of the connection or the other - from the battery end or the lighter plug, right? The current from a Charge-O-Mat is really small compared with a standard charger too. The same short will be there in the spring even if you pull the battery in the winter, so I'm not sure I understand the electrical advantages of avoiding the Charge-O-Mat.

Now, on the other hand, I do understand the idea that charging a non-sealed battery while in a stationary car (as in storage) might lead to corrosive outgassing which can eat parts you care about... but that is simply an argument for or against pulling the battery, not the method of charge.

And yes, I use the Porsche Charge-O-Mat lighter plug maintainer ;) . Works like a charm and it was trivially easy to take a midwinter drive recently when the weather cooperated - just unplugged the C-O-M to leave and popped it back in when I came home - no dirty hands required.

Hi,

Actually, with some circuitry it does matter (microcircuitry with Diodes, etc.). But, when I use a Trickle Charger/Maintainer, I disconnect the Battery, even if it's in situ.

As I said, I may be overly cautious, but I guarantee that I'll never Fry an Electrical System trying to maintain a Battery, or test Porsche's C-O-M Warranty section on Consequential Damage (and judging from their response to RMS and the like, I'm not brimming with Confidence). And, to be fair, you may not either.

But, I've owned so many Cars with Lucas Electrical Systems, and seen several friends' cars go up in smoke, that I choose to exercise more caution. You'll note I did not advise anyone to do this, just explained my method and reasoning. I don't Applaud or Condemn your method, I simply choose another...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Biz-z Z 02-07-2006 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=luxury1]For those of you using a battery maintainer, which one did you get?

I received a paper with the car when I bought it for a "Porsche Battery Maintainer" (Part # 000 043 202 56) for $86.11.

Online Porsche has one for $130 called the Charge-o-mat II. QUOTE]

I bought Porsche's Battery Charger Charge-O-Mat from a local dealer in the fall for around $130. If you can get it for $86, go for it. While a similar generic unit manufactured by the same company (CTEK) may be had for substantially less, I would go with the unit that has Porsche's name on it and of course is recommended by Porsche. If for nothing else, should issues arise, you would avoid hearing the arugment that since you did not use a Porsche approved apparatus, your warranty is voided.

bmussatti 02-07-2006 03:43 PM

I bought the Porsche Battery Charger #980 611 981 00 from Eagle Day. They priced matched the Suncoast Porsche price. It was $55.

bmussatti 02-07-2006 03:46 PM

In Tequipment the Porsche Battery Maintainer is # 000 043 202 56 (same thing as my part above). The Porsche Charge-o-mat II is a little fancier, part # in Tequipment is 955 044 900 54.

luxury1 02-07-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
In Tequipment the Porsche Battery Maintainer is # 000 043 202 56 (same thing as my part above). The Porsche Charge-o-mat II is a little fancier, part # in Tequipment is 955 044 900 54.

Is there any huge differences besides price?

bmussatti 02-07-2006 04:30 PM

I think the Charge-o-mat II allows you to charge other stuff, besides your Porsche. If you order on on-line, wait untill you need/want some other stuff because shipping costs eat-up your savings pretty quickly, FYI.