986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Gear Shifting 101 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/5014-gear-shifting-101-a.html)

SD987 02-10-2006 12:29 PM

Rick, the bugaboo I'm referring to happens from rest (at a traffic light) going from neutral to first with the 5 speed. I didn't try downshifting into first when I test drove an S, but I know most transmissions no-likee the downshift into first and will put up resistance (as MN Boxster alludes to).

That being said, downshifting into first at sane speeds/rpms with the 987 5 speed is no problem...although not personally recommended.

And yes, I did use "bugaboo" in a post.

denverpete 02-10-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickhuizinga
I have this problem in my 987S 6 speed where I cannot shift from neutral into first gear when rolling (in neutral) above 4 or 5 mph. This is a problem because sometimes selecting second gear isn't an appropriate starting gear when rolling between 5-10mph (especially up hill). Whenever this happens, I have to stop the car, shift to first, then drive on - often pissing off those who are following. If I select 2nd, I have to slip the clutch and bog the engine.

Any suggestions?

Wow, I've only ever seen this problem on Harley's! I have absolutely no problems shifting into 1st (provided the RPM's aren't too high) and I don't see any reason not to. I like to pull up to the corners, downshift into 2nd while braking, then shift into 1st to pull out of the corner. I do notice that it works better if you don't completely let off the throttle.

Giggle. 987S can't shift into 1st. Ah, there's justice in the world after all!

SD987 02-10-2006 03:54 PM

"I like to pull up to the corners, downshift into 2nd while braking, then shift into 1st to pull out of the corner."

- DenverPete

"The engine on my 99 failed this past June at 12,800 miles after only owning it for a month."

- DenverPete

...ummm do you think these two might be related?

denverpete 02-11-2006 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
"I like to pull up to the corners, downshift into 2nd while braking, then shift into 1st to pull out of the corner."

- DenverPete

"The engine on my 99 failed this past June at 12,800 miles after only owning it for a month."

- DenverPete

...ummm do you think these two might be related?

Ummm. Let me think. Yeah, that would be no? Unless Porsche is publishing incorrect information the maximum downshift point from 2nd to 1st on my '99 is 35 mph or 4000 RPM.

Hey, it's not my fault the guy can't downshift above 5 mph. Like I said, I've only ever had that problem on my Harley and that was fixed with a set of new back-cut Andrews gears. If that was a problem on MY Porsche - I'd be looking for solutions.

boxtex 02-11-2006 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=MNBoxster]Hi,

Nicely explained, very informational and detailed