986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Door plugs (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/5008-door-plugs.html)

blinkwatt 02-06-2006 05:12 PM

Door plugs

If I were to install doorplugs on my Boxster would it affect it in any way? I know that if you leave you Boxster sitting for 5 days you will manually need to unlock it with a key. If I drive my car on a day to day basis there should no such thing to worry about correct?

deliriousga 02-06-2006 05:23 PM

There shouldn't be any problems with that. The only time I've ever used my key to get in the door was when the key head remote was messed up and would not work. My wife has never used the key to unlock the door.

Rail26 02-06-2006 05:23 PM

I have let my car sit for 3 weeks straight and I just hit the key to open it. Why would you have to use the key to open it?

denverpete 02-06-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26
I have let my car sit for 3 weeks straight and I just hit the key to open it. Why would you have to use the key to open it?

I can't speak for the '05 but on the '99 the remote is disabled after 3 days of non-use. The door plugs I've seen are removeable if needed. No worries!

eslai 02-06-2006 09:28 PM

The door plugs don't work well on the 987, by the way. Our lock cylinder isn't recessed into the handle, so it sits there like a bottle cap. Also, the bumperplugs guys don't seem to have thought about making one that covers the 987 cylinder very well, or maybe it's always been lacking in coverage on the 986 too--it leaves a lot of silver showing.

tqtran 02-07-2006 04:30 AM

blinkwatt : Since you have a 986, the door plug will work fine for you. I have one and it will cause you no problems. It is also very easy to remove when you let you car sit for an extended period of time.

bmussatti 02-07-2006 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26

Rail26...this is good news! I thought the car went into "sleep mode" (cee est ta!)requiring the key to open the car. Is this only on the 986?? Anyone? Buehler?

MNBoxster 02-07-2006 06:15 AM

Hi,

If you do not use the Transmitter on the Key, for approx. 120 Hrs. (5 Days), the Alarm system in the Car effectively stops Listening for it.

The Car does not know when you are going to use your Key Transmitter, and so must remain ON and Listen for it. This puts an excessive Drain on the Battery. To avoid this it shuts down this circuitry once 120 Hrs. have passed. You can reactivate this Feature by inserting the Key in the Lock and Manually unlocking it once.

Anyone stating the time interval is different than 5 Days (approx. 120 Hrs.) is mistaken and possibly confused - it states this right in the Owners Manual. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99