986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Thinking of Selling . . . (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49925-thinking-selling.html)

Porsche Chick 12-17-2013 09:17 AM

Thinking of Selling . . .

I've had my car for about 18 months, and have driven it about 500 miles. It's 2009, it barely has 25K miles on it.

It seems silly to own a car that I barely drive, we usually take hubby's 911, so I can get a Porsche fix that way. Or I drive the larger daily driver, which I can be messy in. The light tan interior on the Boxster makes me worry about spills.

Meanwhile, depreciation is whittling away at it's value. :rolleyes:

Talk me out of selling it back to the dealer, or trying to sell it private party. Or talk me out of selling it at all. I've considered trading it in, so hubby can get a newer 911, but he says he's happy with his car.

What do you think?

thstone 12-17-2013 09:40 AM

I think that you need to drive your car more! The more you drive it, the more you'll love it.

Right now, it sounds like you treat it like an art object - to be admired from afar and never touched. Touch it. Play with it. Get it dirty. Let it get you dirty. Drive it like it was meant to be driven (like you stole it).

linderpat 12-17-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 376981)
I think that you need to drive your car more! The more you drive it, the more you'll love it.

Right now, it sounds like you treat it like an art object - to be admired from afar and never touched. Touch it. Play with it. Get it dirty. Let it get you dirty. Drive it like it was meant to be driven (like you stole it).

this is really the only answer. Drive it, love it. I use mine as a DD. Also, let your hubby drive it too. Don't be surprised if he ends up liking it more than his 911.

particlewave 12-17-2013 09:50 AM

Ok, I'll be the voice of reason.

If'n ya don't drive it, sell it.
There will be more available down the line if and when you have the time and passion to drive more...and you won't get stuck with the depreciation hit ;)

newob 12-17-2013 09:56 AM

This is very sad! its such a great car! Drive it and don't worry about being messy in it. It can take a while to get used to such a car.

trimer 12-17-2013 10:00 AM

sell it to me for $6,000 and I will drive it like I stole it!

Rickinduncan 12-17-2013 10:42 AM

If you sell it would you leave this forum? If so, that would be great then my wife could use the user name porsche chick instead of logging on under my user name. My fear is she might log on using my name and ask a really dumb question, then I'd have to take all the flack for the post.

Mark_T 12-17-2013 10:44 AM

Why should I talk you out of it? What do I care whether you sell your car or not? :D

BruceH 12-17-2013 10:48 AM

You need to drive it more and not treat with kid gloves! I drive mine every chance I get. I don't worry about putting miles on it etc. It is a lot more fun to run errands in the Boxster than it is in my Tundra. If you are going to let it just sit, then it should be sold so someone else can enjoy it. It's a crime not to drive these cars:cheers:

healthservices 12-17-2013 11:00 AM

Get rid of it and let someone else enjoy!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/18/unu6ahas.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

epapp 12-17-2013 11:13 AM

get rid of the larger DD and make the boxst your DD...much better answer

HAUSIDMT 12-17-2013 11:23 AM

My philosophy is once I'm home from work on Friday I put away the DD. I usually drive it on Wednesday evenings also to my guitar lessons. I'm able to put on at least 500mi per month that way. My vote keep it!

stephen wilson 12-17-2013 12:13 PM

I used to get worked up, but it's just a car, at this point not worth any more than a new Accord. I actually choose my Boxster for running errands, because it makes the mundane enjoyable. And believe it or not, you can even drive them in the rain !

RandallNeighbour 12-17-2013 12:19 PM

I hardly drive mine as well. It goes to the track a couple of times a year now and I drive it to work on nice days when I'm in the mood to row through gears in heavy traffic.

I understand what you're thinking.

The thing that keeps me from selling mine is the incredibly low price I will get for my car at resale, which is a fraction of what I have spent since 2004 when I bought it.

recycledsixtie 12-17-2013 12:25 PM

Talk to your man. He may or may not want to drive it. I believe a car should be used. If it is not driven enough it should be sold.

Don't be in the position of selling it and then regretting it. You need a heart to heart talk with hubby ......coz you have several different answers from us members. Whatever you decide make sure it makes you both happy!:)

rp17 12-17-2013 01:19 PM

I say try to force yourself to drive it for a couple of days. If it doesn't keep calling you back after that, let it go.

Perfectlap 12-17-2013 01:36 PM

you should sell before the second wave (post warranty expiration) of depreciation sets in.

Sell the 911.

Buy the new Boxster S or Cayman S. On performance, it's an upgrade for the both of you.
You will both love it.

Unless you have little kids, the base 991 Carrera is not worth the toddler-mobile back seats over the price of a new Boxster/Cayman S.
The 991 S pricing is err.... interesting to put it politely.

Best deal would be a CPO'd 981 Cayman/Boxster S.

AKnowles 12-17-2013 03:04 PM

If you are not going to drive it, then it's just an expensive paper weight so sell it. On the other hand, if you have the opportunity then drive it every freaking day and enjoy the permagrin.

I am so bummed since my wife got a job about 15 minutes away form where I work. So now we commute. Mostly because we want to buy a house next summer and I am economizing. Of course, part of that is the option to biy another Porsche (maybe a 911/Cayman) so I'm living with the hardship. But when I get the chance - due to scheduling conflicts - the ride to/from work makes it all worthwhile. The boxster is a blast to drive!

I'll be honest with you though ... it's just a car ... it will get dirt, rocks, etc. passed it's way and it will deteriorate. But if you don't really drive it, then what's the point. I've considered this again in regard to another Porsche and regardless of the fact it may be a Porsche I will drive it. Whenever I d**n well please and the heck with the consequences to it's paint job or interior. I'm buying it to enjoy and I'm not the spend all my time polishing the car when I can be driving it type of person.

jdlmodelt 12-17-2013 04:25 PM

Whaaaaaaat???

Drive, DRive, DRIVE! I love driving mine as a DD. I've been thinking about studded snow tires and wheels for the winter now. It is so much fun to drive. When the roads have ice I drive my wife's second Honda CRV or my Honda Ridgeline. But, Jeeze...a Porsche? Drive it.! I can't imagine anything more sexy than a lady driving a sweet Porsche! :)

RawleyD 12-17-2013 11:26 PM

That's like 30 miles / month. Which equates a 1/2 trip to work and back for me.. one trip per month.

Why even own it if you aren't going to drive it?? :(