Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
It's physically impossible to ignite gas or gas vapor with a lit cigarette as I understand it.
I agree with this. Years ago (back when I smoked), out of curiosity I once tried to see if I could get a little gasoline I had dribbled onto the driveway to ignite with a lit cigarette. It was seemingly impossible---ultimately I ended up crushing out the lit cigarette in the middle of the small puddle, with no flames resulting.

That said, I'd still not pump gas with a lit cigarette in my hand or mouth...if for no other reason than it would make one look like an complete fool!

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
pjv

Garage
Quote:
It's physically impossible to ignite gas or gas vapor with a lit cigarette as I understand it.
Gasoline liquid and vapour is extremely difficult to ignite this way. It will only ignite in very limited circumstances of air/gasoline mixture, and temperature. However, no matter how low the risk, I would not chance it since the consequences may be horrendous. As someone said, in the 'olden days' we all used to fill the tank with the engine running, but I no longer do this. This is because I have had quite a bit of experience with the effects of fire on people, and I can't imagine a worse way to go. Due to my line of work, I have seen people of all sorts roasted, dead and alive, including as a medic in Viet Nam many years ago. I once saw a woman burn to death in front of me, with no hope of helping her. So don't risk it, it is not worth it. Turn the ignition off, don't smoke, and be mindful of static electricity in clothing etc.
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #23

With the DD'ing Ford Explorer, I let the engine run all the time while pumping gas. I do this on very-very cold days and very-very hot days. Never with the P-cars.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #24
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
With the DD'ing Ford Explorer, I let the engine run all the time while pumping gas. I do this on very-very cold days and very-very hot days. Never with the P-cars.
Same here, Ranger.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Same here, Ranger.
$hit, I've been known on business trips in Minnesota to let the Explorer run for hours in the parking lot during meetings when it's been 15-20 below ZERO! Same for extreme heat, let the AC run along with the cooled seats.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #26

Quote:
LOL. Why don't you experiment by pouring some out on the concrete and touching your lighted cigarette to it? You have nothing to fear .... Right?
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #27

The guy driving the refueling rig pulled up while I was filling up. This big fat guy was smoking at the next pump. Rig man jumps out walks over to fat guy and tells him to put out the cigarette.
Fat guy doesn't like his tone and keeps puffing away. Rig guy comes over and tells him a second time and to quit wasting his time. So I'm guessing it's not so impossible to start a fire this way. Rig guy was not taking any chances.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
LOL. Why don't you experiment by pouring some out on the concrete and touching your lighted cigarette to it? You have nothing to fear .... Right?
You're not reading all the posts! Tried that. So very unexciting. A waste of gasoline...didn't burn, not at all.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #29
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
Actually, tried, smart guy,,Nothing happened. We tried vapors in a milk jug, got the cherry super red hot, small amounts, a small puddle, and no go, so there.

Nothing to fear from a lit cigarette....
Old 12-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #30
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
The guy driving the refueling rig pulled up while I was filling up. This big fat guy was smoking at the next pump. Rig man jumps out walks over to fat guy and tells him to put out the cigarette.
Fat guy doesn't like his tone and keeps puffing away. Rig guy comes over and tells him a second time and to quit wasting his time. So I'm guessing it's not so impossible to start a fire this way. Rig guy was not taking any chances.
Yes. And on many jobs we had to wear hard hats whilst standing in an OPEN FIELD. Some Unions / salty dogs are overly cautious, but owners, insurance companies, and foremen like that.

You cannot ignite gasoline or gasoline vapors with a lit cigarette.