986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Radio swap not working (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49915-radio-swap-not-working.html)

PaulDash 12-16-2013 08:47 AM

Radio swap not working

The Becker CR22 (CR-220 for you US types) that came with the car doesn't impress.

I wanted to swap the head unit for something that would match the factory look, but have a few more features. Mainly a Blue-tooth hands-free. The Becker Indianapolis Pro fit the bill.

After swapping the head units, the new radio lights up, shows it's receiving a radio and GPS signal, but no sound comes out. I have the M680 option and with the new head unit the DSP doesn't even light up.

Any suggestions?

linklaw 12-16-2013 06:07 PM

I do not know about the Indianapolis but I do know that when the Becker Trafficpro is installed in a Boxster a pin in the plug for the back of the radio needs to be changed. The factory CDR220 triggers the amplifier through a certain pin and the Trafficpro triggers it through a different pin. I bet your new radio needs a pin switched around to trigger the amp. Search the forum for Trafficpro installation to see what I am talking about. If no info here then google it. I know I found it when installing the Trafficpro in my old Boxster 8 or 9 years ago. You will probably need a diagram of the pinouts on the Inianapolis as well.

PaulDash 02-07-2014 04:27 PM

Finally got to work on that head unit replacement.

Indeed, the #6 pin in the (yellow) plug C needs to be wired to the #5 pin in the A plug.

Now working on getting a reverse gear signal for the navigation to work.

KevinH1990 02-07-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDash (Post 385269)
Finally got to work on that head unit replacement.

Indeed, the #6 pin in the (yellow) plug C needs to be wired to the #5 pin in the A plug.

Now working on getting a reverse gear signal for the navigation to work.

You can tap into it under the driver's seat on a left hand drive car.

PaulDash 02-08-2014 12:26 AM

Thanks, Kevin. That'd be a long wire.

On a 993 forum I've read that the climate control unit gets the reverse signal on a blue/gray wire. Does anybody know, if there's such a thing on the 986?

Also, would just grounding that wire fool the Indianapolis to think it's always going forward?

KevinH1990 02-08-2014 06:54 AM

Here is a post on Renntech with the instructions: Reverse Signal Wire Hook Up - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

Unfortunately, it looks like the photos have been deleted. They were working on a 996, but the 986 is the same.

When I installed my Traffic Pro, I did not hook up the reverse wire and the only issue is that the reverse arrow doesn't show up.

I don't know the answer to your question about the climate control.