986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   18k miles on new engine (MY04 S) DOF/LN? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49882-18k-miles-new-engine-my04-s-dof-ln.html)

scottvd 12-14-2013 08:07 PM

18k miles on new engine (MY04 S) DOF/LN?

I'm purchasing a MY04 S with 48k miles. IMS failure right at 30k miles, engine and clutch replaced by Porsche as a "goodwill gesture" see this invoice.

I've read SO much about IMS that my brain is beginning to turn to mush and I'm having difficulty keeping it all straight, here's my Q's

1. With the replaced engine would I for certain have a double row bearing?

2. I thought I read that when the engines were replaced a larger IMS bearing was used instead of the original and that larger bearing was not able to be extracted for a LN upgrade without dropping the engine, is that accurate?

3. With 18k miles on the engine and clutch should I
A. Chill out and drive the thing
B. DOF only
C. DOF + LN
D. IMS Guardian until clutch needs replacement

Thanks in advance for helping a tired reader with a tired topic.

RawleyD 12-14-2013 11:35 PM

'A'

.. but on the other hand, I bet you paid a hell of a lot more for your car than I paid for mine.

Jake Raby 12-15-2013 03:12 AM

I reviewed the invoice. The engine installed has the M97 style bearing.

The good news for you is that means its fine to just drive as it is. I'd not do more than 5K mile/ 6 month oil services and utilize Joe Gibbs Drive DT40 oil, thats developed for these engines through our efforts.

No use to add anything to it IMHO as time has proven that these larger diameter, single row IMS Bearings are fine as they are with little chance of failure. I am the developer of the IMS Guardian, and while you could fit one, I'd just leave it alone with any M97 bearing car.

As we see more and more M97 engines and reman/ new engines fitted with M97 IMSBs today we find that the IMSB isn't whats taking the engines out. Direct experience and our development tells us more than anything else.

j.fro 12-15-2013 04:05 AM

+1 on choice "A"
For peace of mind, maybe send an oil sample for analysis every other oil change or so.

scottvd 12-15-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 376684)
I reviewed the invoice. The engine installed has the M97 style bearing.

The good news for you is that means its fine to just drive as it is. I'd not do more than 5K mile/ 6 month oil services and utilize Joe Gibbs Drive DT40 oil, thats developed for these engines through our efforts.

Oh, cool- glad I put the invoice up, didn't realize that info was there. Thx for the careful evaluation, I appreciate that! For future reference is there anything else on this engine that's different from the original M96 that was in there?

And you stated the "good news" which is usually followed by bad news- is that just that the bearing can't be removed while the engine is in place? Or am I being too pessimistic trying to find bad news? (:

jacabean 12-15-2013 08:04 AM

no worries with that car . drive and enjoy

Jake Raby 12-15-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottvd (Post 376700)
Oh, cool- glad I put the invoice up, didn't realize that info was there. Thx for the careful evaluation, I appreciate that! For future reference is there anything else on this engine that's different from the original M96 that was in there?

And you stated the "good news" which is usually followed by bad news- is that just that the bearing can't be removed while the engine is in place? Or am I being too pessimistic trying to find bad news? (:

Not being able to retrofit only becomes a concern if you start to experience a failure. Just leave it as is and drive the thing. No band aids required :-)

scottvd 12-15-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 376728)
Not being able to retrofit only becomes a concern if you start to experience a failure. Just leave it as is and drive the thing. No band aids required :-)

Kk, thanks for the input! So just watch for oil leakage and replace every 5k with DT40- got it!