986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Sqeeky sound when going over speed bumps (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4983-sqeeky-sound-when-going-over-speed-bumps.html)

blinkwatt 02-04-2006 05:19 PM

Sqeeky sound when going over speed bumps

I hear this sqeeky sound when going over speed bumps,not any other time. What could it be? Any input?

deliriousga 02-04-2006 05:40 PM

Most likely a spring cover or A-arm bushing. The easy one is to check A-arm your bushings to see if they're worn out. If not, look at there the springs meet the shocks (not sure what the top and bottom covers on the springs are called) and see if it looks worn.

You can have someone bounce the front and/or rear while you're next to the wheels and see if you can find it. If there's nobody around to help, you can jack it up, then put another jack under the tire and lift it up and down to see if you can make it squeak.

blinkwatt 02-04-2006 07:33 PM

Hmm I dont know if those ideas will work because I have to be traveleing at a relatively high speed over a speed bump to hear it. When I slow down to around 5mp over a speed bump I dont hear it. How do I check the A-arm bushings? What are the A-arm bushings?

deliriousga 02-05-2006 06:42 PM

It can still be either one of those and/or a a drop link. Is it front, rear or both?

There are two arms on each wheel shaped like an "A", one on top and one on bottom. The hub is attached to them. If you look at where the arms attach to the car's frame, there are two bushings, one located on each side. Check each bushing to see if it is torn, coated with oil, mushy or has any gaps between the bushing and the metal cylinder inside it and around it. If so, you need to replace them.

Check your ball joints too by gabbing the top and bottom of the tire and trying to wiggle it vertically. If it can move, your ball joint(s) is worn out. There's one on top and one on bottom at the end of the A arm going into the hub.

Both of these can be dangerous and should be checked every time you take the wheel off just to be safe.

Rail26 02-06-2006 06:32 PM

Just don't go over anymore speed bumps.

RandallNeighbour 02-06-2006 08:18 PM

I'm guessing it's a control arm or just something that could use some grease.

The control arms on our cars are one part metal and one part aluminum. When the bushing wears out where the two meet, you get a real racket over speed bumps. That's what happened to me about a year ago. $$$

:ah:

blinkwatt 02-09-2006 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deliriousga
It can still be either one of those and/or a a drop link. Is it front, rear or both?

I paid close attention for any sound today as I drove over speed bumps. The sound is coming from the rear,I cant tell what side though. It doesnt make the sound all the time either.