986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tips & Advice When Picking-up New Car (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4981-tips-advice-when-picking-up-new-car.html)

bmussatti 02-04-2006 12:20 PM

Tips & Advice When Picking-up New Car

If all goes well, I will be picking-up my new 2006 Boxster in a few weeks (late March). What tips, check-list and advice do you have to assure a smooth transaction and experience? Thanks!

eslai 02-04-2006 08:12 PM

You already ordered it, right? I'm sure you'll be introduced to a service advisor there--I suggest you get friendly with him so you have someone in your pocket in case anything goes wrong.

Inspect everything on the car before you drive off the lot. You probably won't find any problems, but if there ARE any you'll want to know before plunking down the cash! Take it for a test drive before finalizing the paperwork. Top up, top down.

Oh, and pop the frunk and look at the battery cover. Mine seems a little misshappen--when it's properly attached it still looks misaligned. I looked at another car on the lot though and it seemed to have the same problem, but I've seen others since then on which I didn't think the issue was as prominent.

bhduxbury 02-04-2006 09:34 PM

call ahead and tell them to apply the windstop rattle & mirror whistle fixes during the pre-delivery inspection -- and that your post-delivery survey will be negatively impacted if those or other stupid, simple problems arise right off the bat that should have been caught. time is money and we all want this to be a smooth transaction.

good luck getting that car off the lot for a drive or even the motor fired up before signing the docs (signing, not cash xfer, equals "it's yours now, not ours") -- they are trained to try not to let either happen before you sign . . . but try anyways!

then drive it like you stole it blah blah blah buy a porsche hat show the car off to friends one at a time listen to the engine randomly go top down below 50F at night just because you can change oil/filter at 700mi ponder the trunks ponder the handling get clear side markers and porsche valve stem caps klasse it right away sing at stoplights strategically choose parking spaces clean your garage and weep for the slow-coming of 2k -- lol (all like me) -- enjoy!! :cheers:

bmussatti 02-04-2006 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhduxbury
call ahead and tell them to apply the windstop rattle & mirror whistle fixes during the pre-delivery inspection

bhduxbury, this is great advice! Will they do these 2 easy fixes even without an initial complaint??

bmussatti 02-05-2006 11:47 AM

BUMP! I am looking for more good advice! THANKS!!

donv 02-05-2006 06:46 PM

Tell the salesperson they are full of crap if they try to tell you there is no break-in period...

Keep a clear head and look the whole car over completely before handing over the final check. Get anything you want fixed or completed that isn't done - before you leave - or at least get it in writing that they owe it to you to be fixed/completed as part of the paperwork.

As said before, get a few good coats of Klasse or Zaino on the car quickly before that first bird takes aim and brake dust gets on the wheels.

bhduxbury 02-06-2006 12:04 PM

sorry bmussatti -- mine is a "do as i say not as i do" suggestion -- in my excitement from very early delivery, i spaced the pdi requests. now i have a rattle and (one) mirror whistle. ho hum.