Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Seafoam-ing a 986...

Has anyone tried seafoam on a Boxster? If yes, how and with what results?

twindrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

no no no no no
btw, search is up top...

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/21208-sea-foam.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/743787-anybody-ever-do-seafoam-treatment.html
Old 12-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Beginner

Garage
You need to figure out what Seafoam can really do, and what you are after. So Seafoam would be introduced somewhere in the intake. Assume the plastic manifold and triangular green intake seals would be wetted with it. The polymers on those items appear to be robust so its a fair bet they would not be softened and swell up with Seafoam. After that its off to the intake valves and into the combusion chamber. The compression stroke is a little worrying as the engine is already high compression and any liquid will serve to raise the compression ratio, not that there is likely to be firing in a cylinder with Seafoam in it, but if enough Seafoam enters the chamber the loads in the engine will increase dramatically - not good. With luck hydraulic lock has not damaged anything, then its out through the exhaust valve and into the exhaust. The O2 sensors are likely safe, but what about the catalyst in the catalytic converters? You just threw a bunch of dirty hydrocarbon liquid onto them all in one go. Maybe not the best way to service the cats. I would also consider upper end lubrication during this process, is there any? So what Seafoam likley does is clean the intake and exhaust valves along with the combustion chamber. I've heard, and read adding Techron as a fuel additive does a good job at that and without the drama of Seafoam. But, if you do decide to Seafoam, post a video to this forum, the reaction to a high revving, smoking Boxster would be priceless. If the Boxster actually blows up in the process, it's legend.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindrop View Post
Has anyone tried seafoam on a Boxster? If yes, how and with what results?
Only to clean the secondary air injection ports:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/49666-p0410-secondary-air-injection-system-cylinders-1-%96-3-a.html

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
One of the reasons it is good for that is that a lab analysis showed it was basically a nail polish remover........
Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #6

Garage
I read Porsche actually recommends Chevron's Textron product once a year in a full tank of gas.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
...................... it was basically a nail polish remover........
...which is acetone.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #8

I put a 12 gallon Techron booster in twice annually. Additionally my indy shop includes a cleaning agent (I forget the name of it, but it is was described to me as a much more concentrated version of Techron) with major and minor services (15k and 30k intervals) to deal with hydrocarbon buildup.

I don't know when you should bother with something like seafoaming.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #9

Just like any additive, read the instructions. I have used SeaFoam as a gas treatment, 8oz to a full tank of gas. No problems at all.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
Just like any additive, read the instructions. I have used SeaFoam as a gas treatment, 8oz to a full tank of gas. No problems at all.
That's one way to Seafoam a car there are more exciting ways. Look up seafoaming on youtube.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #11

Let's get off this kid crap...you want to clean your engine. Add some of this to your tank.
Torcoracefuel.net

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #12

I us e afull can of seafoam in the fuel tank every season (winter) to keep the fuel from degrading and clogging the injectors or fuel pump screen.I have had zero problems doing this,i think its better than doing nothing or adding fuel stabilizer which i have had problems with.I also use it to store my snowmobile ,motorbike and lawnmower with 0 problems.I use it sparingly based on info on label,very important especially on a 2 stroke sled (it will wash down the cylinder walls) 4 stroke is much more forgiving,can,t find or see any negative for that application.I have been useing it for over 20 years now,if there was an issue i would know about it.
moresquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moresquirt View Post
I us e afull can of seafoam in the fuel tank every season (winter) to keep the fuel from degrading and clogging the injectors or fuel pump screen.I have had zero problems doing this,i think its better than doing nothing or adding fuel stabilizer which i have had problems with.I also use it to store my snowmobile ,motorbike and lawnmower with 0 problems.I use it sparingly based on info on label,very important especially on a 2 stroke sled (it will wash down the cylinder walls) 4 stroke is much more forgiving,can,t find or see any negative for that application.I have been useing it for over 20 years now,if there was an issue i would know about it.
JD, I think we have a better username here than "pierre shags"
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
Beginner

Garage
enough with the mamby pamby pouring it into the gas tank - this is how to do it right Seafoaming my car - YouTube and I think coreseller may be drinking.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
enough with the mamby pamby pouring it into the gas tank - this is how to do it right Seafoaming my car - YouTube and I think coreseller may be drinking.
Sober as a Judge........
Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Regarding the drinking, unfortunately no but I'm kind of giddy, just got some great personal news and the wife and kids are out to the movies. Talk to me Friday night and it may be a different answer..........

BTW, just watched your video, I had a 2001 Cobra, tried to buy it back twice without luck, GREAT CAR!!!!!

Old 12-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Regarding the drinking, unfortunately no but I'm kind of giddy, just got some great personal news and the wife and kids are out to the movies. Talk to me Friday night and it may be a different answer..........

BTW, just watched your video, I had a 2001 Cobra, tried to buy it back twice without luck, GREAT CAR!!!!!

Nice stang. I currently drive a 2003 GT convertible. Enjoyable, but under powered and a beater at this point. I've regretted not buying a Cobra since I bought the car. My dead Boxster is getting all the $$$$ and attention at this point. And the video isn't me! I stopped doing that kind of thing to my cars when I was a kid.