986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Driving School Recommendations?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4978-driving-school-recommendations.html)

Uncle Bob 02-04-2006 12:05 PM

Driving School Recommendations??

I realize that when I bought my Boxster I had a pretty steep learning curve. One of which was my inability to use much of the car's potential. In light of this, it seems logical that a driving school would be in order. I live about 85 miles North of Seattle and have half of June and July off, so that would seem an ideal time to attend one. I see a myriad of them advertised in Autoweek, but I would like to hear some of my fellow member’s experiences with specific schools as well as any recommendations.

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

donv 02-05-2006 06:39 PM

One lower cost option is to check out your local PCA chapter driver's Ed and/or autocross programs. The ones in my area are well administered and a great way to learn the limits of the car and improve your skills with instruction by expert volunteers.

deliriousga 02-05-2006 06:46 PM

I'm with Don. You get to learn in your own car too. If you're not a member, go to www.pca.org, find your local chapter and check their site for the DE schedule. Join the PCA and you'll usually find a local dealer who will inspect your car for DEs for free and the program is usually much less than a driving school.

Uncle Bob 02-06-2006 05:56 AM

Thanks guys, I'll join up today and see what's going on. I may have to go up to Canada, not sure. There is a nice roadcourse just over the border in Mission, BC.

Perfectlap 02-06-2006 06:01 AM

I took this course, very good and lots of running time. Looks like they opened schools in Canada and will be in your state this Aug.
http://www.autocross.com/evolution/

Uncle Bob 02-06-2006 06:46 AM

I found a great group in my area with a DE in April.
April 9, 2006
7:00 AM Driver Ed
Category: Driver Ed
Description: Information about the PNWR Driver Education program is available on the At the Track section, in the Driver Ed area. Pre-registration is strongly recommended, check the opening dates.

Thanks, PL. That looks like a good school. I actualy might have some time in August as well!

MNBoxster 02-06-2006 08:37 AM

Hi,

I think any opportunity to Drive and be critiqued by an Observer is beneficial. And, the Porsche DE's are good and certainly affordable, but they are limited. You learn by repetition, and these DE's simply aren'y available often enough to truly improve your skills.

The Evolution Schools are excellent and a good intro into Auto-X. This is one area often overlooked by many Drivers. It is a Fun, inexpensive way to to Drive your car as you never could legally on the Street. Plus, there are Car Clubs and Auto-X Groups meeting frequently (virtually every weekend here in Mpls. during the Temperate months). This allows you to keep your hand in it and improve over time.

You usually only need a Helmet to get started. I regularly see guys bringing their Daily Drivers just to learn and open them up a little. There's one Guy with an Accura RS who yanks the Car Seat out of the Back, but at least he's out there. I've seen everything from Saturns to purpose built Auto-Xers out there. It can be as competitive as you want to make it.

If you really catch the Fever, then Schools like Bondurant, Sharpe, and such are Great! Mrs. MNBoxster has given me several of these as presents through the years including the Indy Driving Experience (the Driving course, not the Ridealong). These are a great way to experience such tracks as Watkins Glen, Sears Point, Laguna Seca and IMS (Indianapolis Motor Speedway). But, these are fairly expensive and not available locally to many. Hope this helps...

Uncle Bob 02-06-2006 03:12 PM

Thanks, MnB. As an avid observer at various tracks I would love to find a place close enough for "Auntie Bob" to send me! I will appreciate the involvement with the local club but I completely agree that to have a trained observer will be a welcome addition to the void that is my practical experience driving on track! I welcome some classroom time as well. Well, food for thought!

Perfectlap 02-06-2006 03:24 PM

definitely go the Evo school/Autocross route before investing bigger dollars into a more well known school like Russell, Barber etc.
You'll learn all the same fundamentals at your local Autocross at a fraction and the instructors are all willing to give you all the advice you want. A tremendous bargain for an afternoon of $50.
After about 6 or 7 events I might consider a set of dedicated tires and wheels. You'll get all of your mistakes taken care of with your "cheap" tires and save your new dedicated tires on perfecting your skills.
Or in some cases your street tires might be the expensive ones that you don't want to tear up. Some of these autocross lots are like cheese graters. I definitely have to go easy on my Toyo RA-1's on some of the venues around here. One afternoon of going too hard and their cooked.

Uncle Bob 02-07-2006 04:37 AM

That's great advice, PL I hear you loud and clear in the tires department! Yes, as well to going a less expensive route for starting out.

BuffaloBoxster 02-07-2006 05:03 AM

As usual, I'm going to chime in and recommend karting as the single best way to learn to drive at the limit period. It's cheap, and there are plenty of decent schools. I just did the Jim Hall school a few months ago. You might just get hooked too :)

Perfectlap 02-07-2006 06:09 AM

I was in karting races back when I was about 7 years old in the 70's. Those were the days. Nowadays you probably need 20 permission slips.
Recently I participated at an EVO school at a Raceway Park here in NJ and stoped to watch the "figure eight" karting race. These guys were going about 120mph in full race gear at 98F and probably loving every minute of it. I definitely see one of those easy karts in my future when I move to a warmer climate.

MNBoxster 02-07-2006 06:23 AM

Hi,

Agreed, Karting is the Breeding Ground of many of today's Top Racers in Cart, Indy, F1 and other Racing Leagues.

Virtually every Lap Record, at nearly every Track in the World, is held by a Kart.

Also, there is no Restraint System in a Kart - a pretty fair incentive to Get it Right the first time...;)

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

slogans7 02-07-2006 08:07 AM

I took the Skip Barber course some years ago, and learned more about driving in one day than I had the previous 15 years. They now have both driving and racing schools, although you'd probably have to come down to Laguna Seca - which isn't a bad drive for you, come to think of it!

Check out the site and be sure to watch the videos!

http://www.skipbarber.com/default.aspx

BuffaloBoxster 02-07-2006 08:22 AM

The TAG/EasyKart stuff is very very quick.. I know that Jim Hall was phasing out their shifter program for TAG because TAG is nearly as fast and nowhere near as difficult to drive than a shifter. The instructor ssaid that most people actually go slower their first day in a shifter because they don't have the shifting rhythm down.

Unfortunately TAG hasn't become popular in my neck of the woods, nor is there a lot of shifter or Yamaha classes either.

At any rate karting is IMHO the best and most cost-effective way to improve your driving, and undoubtably the most cost-effective way to wheel-to-wheel racing.

MNBoxster 02-07-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slogans7
I took the Skip Barber course some years ago, and learned more about driving in one day than I had the previous 15 years. They now have both driving and racing schools, although you'd probably have to come down to Laguna Seca - which isn't a bad drive for you, come to think of it!

Check out the site and be sure to watch the videos!

http://www.skipbarber.com/default.aspx

Hi,

Agreed! I took the Barber course and it is one of the more intensive ones I've been to. I already had been racing several years and had my SCCA Nat'l Competition License, so I wasn't expecting too much new stuff.

But, a couple minor points mentioned in the debrief allowed me to cut a full 8 sec. (an eternity in Racing) off my Best Lap at my Home Track...

MNBoxster 02-07-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
...At any rate karting is IMHO the best and most cost-effective way to improve your driving, and undoubtably the most cost-effective way to wheel-to-wheel racing...

Hi,

Agreed! But folks have to understand that Open Wheel Racing of any kind is truly the pinnacle so far as the Driver is concerned - it is my Passion.

Despite what Robert Duvall and NASCAR say, Rubbin Ain't Racing! Whenever two Open Wheel Cars touch wheels, one wheel will ride over the other, and someone's going Airborne!

Back in the mid-late '80's, I was campaigning a Formula Ford at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in Northern Illinois. There were 3 of us contesting the lead 2 laps from the Flag. I decided to slip back to 3rd, since the Track is not 3 cars wide, and let the other two guys fight it out, hoping that I'd get an opening to scoot right by them.

Anyway, coming off the first turn 2 Laps from the Finish, they started really battling each other and their wheels touched. Both Cars turned into each other, and I had nowhere to go.

So, I followed the old Axiom which says to aim your Car toward the Center of the Crash (on the theory that they won't still be there when you arrive at that point).

Well, they just kept skidding sideways nose-to-nose down the track and it was looking like I should have clipped my Helmet Tether afterall. I held the wheel, pulled my feet out of the Pedal Box, and just as I came on them, they raised up forming a Pyramid between them, and I drove right underneath them (not by choice, I was already committed to that Line), and held on for the Last Lap and the Win.

I was back in the Pit Lane and this Guy comes up to me and asks for my address, said that he was a Photographer and had some nice shots of the Race and me that he'd like to send me, so I gave him the info.

10 Days later I get this Manilla Envelope, and inside there are a number of Race Pics, some of me, mostly others. But, the final shot is one of me driving underneath the two stacked Cars!

All my years of struggle, pain, work, boredom and expense devoted to Racing became instantly Worth It! I still have the pic somewhere in a Box (all my Family and Friends have seen this one Ad Nauseum), I'll try to dig it out and scan it to post here and show you guys...

70Sixter 02-23-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I see a myriad of them advertised in Autoweek, but I would like to hear some of my fellow member’s experiences with specific schools as well as any recommendations.

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

Myriad as advertised in AutoWeek - http://www.autoweek.com/assets/pdf/CW33011212.PDF

I did not see any bad advice in any postings, and saw some very good stuff. IMO deleriousga and donv are right about PCA Driver's Ed and competion program. But the key is to target what you need. SCCA license? Improved road/street skills? Insurance discount. :cheers:

Uncle Bob 02-23-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Sixter
Myriad as advertised in AutoWeek - http://www.autoweek.com/assets/pdf/CW33011212.PDF

I did not see any bad advice in any postings, and saw some very good stuff. IMO deleriousga and donv are right about PCA Driver's Ed and competion program. But the key is to target what you need. SCCA license? Improved road/street skills? Insurance discount. :cheers:

Thanks. Yup, been a hardcore Autoweek reader for decades now. I see their extended information additions on driving schools and actually am fairly confident in what I read, just not so much the adverts. I appreciate personal experiences more than anything.
We are new members of PCA and PNWA is coming. We will be going to a new member orientation in March for PNWA, then a DE in April, I believe. Wife is excited about the Cannon Beach run (no, not Cannonball run!) this October with the PNWA as well.

Uncle Bob 03-13-2006 01:41 PM

We went to the PCNWA new members meeting Sunday. Great bunch of guys. I look forward to taking classes through them and going on some cruises as well.

I heard the annual Porsche Parade is in Portland, OR this year. We may have to cruise down there to take a look!