Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

Exclamation Rear brake pads on the front?

Went to do my front brakes on my 2000 boxster. Weird, they had rear pads on them. I looked them up to make sure and yeap they are rear pads. Why would that be? This car I bought used, so I didn't do it! I checked the disk and made sure it was a front, it was. When I checked the new pads (which are for the front) they wouldn't really fit size wise on the disk. Just cant figure out why there were rears on the front. I did measure the front disks and compared them to some on line auto part specs. They are front ones. I am thinking I need to check out a new disk and see how the pads fit in it. Just looked like the new pads would overlap the uncut area of the disk. What do you guys think?

wally999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Garage
If the OEM front pads are too big, check the caliper part #. I have no idea why someone would do that though. Cheap collision repair?
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Rear pads are just slightly smaller on a base car. Some do this to move the brake bias slightly aft. Some just get the wrong part delivered and don't notice the difference. You will need new rotors if you want to run new std front pads.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Rear pads are just slightly smaller on a base car. Some do this to move the brake bias slightly aft. Some just get the wrong part delivered and don't notice the difference. You will need new rotors if you want to run new std front pads.

yeah thats what im think too. Replace it all once they are 75% gone. Just couldnt figure out why. I would think they just got the wrong part number. Everything is good so far. Had it about 5 months. Did the clutch and some other things. Runs good so far. Fun car.

wally999 is offline   Reply With Quote