Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #1

Portable Lift - Quickjack By Ranger

$1k lift. good for up to 3,500 lbs.

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHhCVW2YexQ

Review

What I've been testing (QUICKJACK by Ranger Products)! - The Garage Journal Board

"How “portable” is this lift?
Extremely portable! Each ramp is very light and manageable, weighting only about 45 pounds per ramp and coming with short hydraulic lines with quick disconnects on each end. The weight of the power unit, which comes with a handle, and attached hydraulic lines is another 14 pounds. The ramps lay ridiculously flat (only about 3” tall when fully collapsed) and are only 5’ in total length (when collapsed). In the fully upright position the ramps are 46” long. The overall width of the ramps is 10.5” wide. You shouldn’t have any issue sliding these ramps under the lowest race car, Porsche, Honda, Vette, etc. or lowered hot rod.

Lifting Height/Capacity
Up to 20+” of height and a 3,500 pound lifting capacity. This is mostly dependent on how you use/configure any of the 8 rubber blocks that come with the QuickJack, which also come in two different heights (3” and 1.5”). By the way, you might find that 20+” of height is actually too much – that was some of the feedback that I collected. Luckily, that’s been addressed (see next section below).

Mechanical lock(s)
My prototype unit only has ONE lock but don’t worry, the final version will have two. When the hydraulic cylinder is fully extended, you will be able to position the locking lever into place (and then lower the lift), at which point the top of the ramp will be at its full height extension of roughly 20+”, and will no longer be dependent on hydraulic pressure to keep it in place. Yes, you can also lift your car temporarily to whatever height you might need, but think safety first (and at least slide your wheel under the car). The addition of the 2nd locking point should give you plenty of locking options to work with.

Power Unit
You have two choices! There’s a 110 and a 12V motor available. Both of these units are really small and only take up around two quarts of ATF or hydraulic fluid. Both units come with a 20’ remote cord that gives you plenty of cord to walk around your car and engage/disengage the locks. You’ll find that you petty much walk around holding the remote in your hand all the time (at least that’s why I’ve been doing). Anyway, the 110 motor drew between 9-11 Amps on my amp meter so you can easily run this on a 15amp circuit without blowing a fuse. You can also plug it into a big 1200 watt power inverter or run it off a small portable generator. The 12V unit will obviously run off your car battery and is not much slower than the 110 motor. So how fast does it lift a car? After you position the ramps into place, it will take roughly 10 seconds (with the 12V unit) to get your car fully up in the air. The 110 unit is just slightly faster, shaving just a second or two off that time. I recommend thinking carefully about how you intend to use your QuickJack. If you’re always going to be lifting something that has a good working battery, then 12V is the way to go. Then again, if you’re going to use it primarily in the shop for project cars and already have a decent power inverter or small generator to use as needed, then a 110 would be perfect.

Hydraulic lines
The QuickJack comes with quick disconnects (think MaxJax!) in standard 15’ lengths, which should meet all of your needs. If you need something longer, I’m sure Ranger Products can accommodate your request. Anyway, the lines are really easy to connect/disconnect (no different than hooking up air tools). I actually found that they disconnect even easier than air lines and there’s no spill when you disconnect the lines. Now, when you go to connect them, and happen to pause a bit (or simply have an issue connecting them like one of the gals at the track did), then and only then, will you possibly spill a little fluid. No biggie, just add some more ATF or Hydraulic fluid (or both – depending on what you can source locally at the time).

Remote Control
This is a nice industrial remote that fits comfortably in your hand and comes with a 20’ power cord. There’s plenty of cord to keep the remote in your hand as you walk around to engage/disengage the locking levers. The remote itself just has two buttons - UP and DOWN.

Grey air cylinders/canisters (what are those for???)
Next to each hydraulic cylinder/ram you will see a small air cylinder/canister with a Schrader valve on one end of it. This is why these are needed. The weight of your car will obviously allow the ramps to descend/collapse but what happens when the car is now resting on its wheels and you still need to fully collapse your ramps (a few more inches) so you can slide them out from underneath the car? Well, by initially filling these air cylinders with 50 PSI (Max) of air and then just using your lift going forward, you’ll always have enough air to force the hydraulic cylinder to fully compress itself - without needing the weight of a car now. Don’t worry about having to continually check the air pressure of these cylinders either. As part of the normal operation of the lift, the air cylinder is automatically being filled with air, during each use. I checked mine at the beginning and they’ve been holding air just fine.

How will you know if you’re under the 50 PSI capacity? Don’t worry, your QuickJack will let you know if you’re low on air. Yes, I tested for this scenario too by purposely bleeding my air cylinders all the way down to 5 PSI. Well, here’s what happens. The weight of your car will collapse the ramps down enough until your car is resting on its wheels. Then your ramps will come down a little more (maybe an inch or so but not much more). At this point you have two options, either fill the cylinders right now with 50 PSI (Max) or slide the ramp out from under the car (it will clear) and stand on the ramp so that your weight will now fully compress the ramp. Do one ramp and then the other (or position them side by side and stand on both at the same time – that’s what I did). Either way, just make sure you are also (always) pushing the DOWN button on your remote control so that the hydraulic valve is open and is letting ATF/hydraulic fluid return back to the reservoir tank.

Ramp Set Up (Ramp positioning and Rubber block placement)
Just want to point out a few things here. No, you do not drive your car onto the ramps like you do with other lifts. Remember that this is a portable lift and in order to keep the weight down, it was not designed to be used as a drive on ramp. You instead park your car wherever you want to work on it, and then position the ramps into place. There’s even little “arms” that will help you position the ramps perfectly under your cars pinch welds or under the frame. The supplied rubber blocks (4 of each type) come in 1 ½” and 3” heights and have little grooves to help you line things up and the blocks themselves can be positioned as close as 28 ¾” or as far apart as 43 ¾”.

Ramp Set Up (Planning for hydraulic lines and vehicle movement)
Just think of how you want to route your hydraulic lines. Out the front or back of the car is the easiest set up. Also, you will notice that when the ramps are fully collapsed they are 5’ long but when they are in the upright position they are 44” long. You need to plan for up to roughly 8” of movement of your vehicle (when in the fully upright position), either moving the entire car forward or backwards, based on how you have the ramps oriented.

Just remember this! Your car will always be lifted and moving towards the direction of the BIG WHITE STICKER on the ramps. If you can see/read the sticker, then the car will be lifting up and coming toward you. As the car is lowered, the BIG WHITE STICKER will collapse and fold away from you (along with the car). Make sure you plan for that roughly 8” of movement, especially if your car is close to a wall or garage door. If you find that you screwed up and are hitting the wall/door, just lower the ramps and flip them around and lift the car up again. The ramps are light and rest on round metal/plastic feet and slide really easily, without scratching up the ramps.

Availability/Price
The QuickJack will be available by the end of this year (maybe sooner), but you can contact Ranger Products and get your name on a list right now. The price will be around $950 (and that includes shipping for those of us that live in the lower 48).

Wait, there’s more!
You like the lift but want something with a higher lifting capacity? A 5,000 pound capacity QuickJack is currently in the works and should be available early next year.

Own a bike? Yes, Ranger Products has you in mind too and already has a motorcycle adapter that turns your QuickJack into a dual purpose lift.

WARNING!!! (VERY Important)!
Before you buy a QuickJack, be prepared (mentally and physically) for mucho visitors at the track, or wherever else you set up your lift. This thing attracts a LOT of attention! YOU will be the talk of the day. Basically, your car is resting comfortably on a spaceship now and everyone wants to come check it out. Seriously, people will literally stop in their tracks when they notice that you are not up on jack stands, or when they see your car magically elevating itself in your “portable” service bay.

Get ready to make new friends – lots of them!"

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #2

Pretty Cool for a track set-up but $1k is a lot of jack (get it) for something that could be handled for less than $150 and nowhere near as cumbersome to travel with and set-up. It doesn't look near stout enough for me to crawl under either. This is on sale this Friday (Black Friday) at Harbor Freight for $69.99 with coupon:

Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®, 1.5 Tons
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
The biggest question I have hear is lateral stability. That does not appear to be a very large side foot print so lateral side loads from working on shop projects seem to be out thus making this a wheel change only?

I like the concept and would be interested in hearing your opinion...
Old 11-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
The biggest question I have hear is lateral stability. That does not appear to be a very large side foot print so lateral side loads from working on shop projects seem to be out thus making this a wheel change only?

Exactly what I was thinking. It looks like any Dilbert could lean on it a bit too hard and kaboom. IMO the $70 HF jack with a prepped piece of milled wood to do one side of the car at a time and 4 jack stands would take a couple to five minutes max. More stable, takes less room and one sixth or so of the price. Use the extra jingle to buy an 18volt Impact. Not much of a wow factor though.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Pretty Cool for a track set-up but $1k is a lot of jack (get it) for something that could be handled for less than $150 and nowhere near as cumbersome to travel with and set-up. It doesn't look near stout enough for me to crawl under either. This is on sale this Friday (Black Friday) at Harbor Freight for $69.99 with coupon:

Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®, 1.5 Tons
For the record...I have that jack. It's OK. But my neighbor spent the extra $30-40 or so...whatever...for the nicer version and it SMOKES my jack. Just an FYI. I never had one ounce of concern using his jack. My jack...the one in the link...is a little too light weight. It works...no argument...but it's a little sketchy stability wise.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post

I sure as hell wouldn't be crawling under a car on that thing.....

If you have tight space, and want a lift which isn't "permanent," look at the Danmar Max Jax.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
For the record...I have that jack. It's OK. But my neighbor spent the extra $30-40 or so...whatever...for the nicer version and it SMOKES my jack. Just an FYI. I never had one ounce of concern using his jack. My jack...the one in the link...is a little too light weight. It works...no argument...but it's a little sketchy stability wise.

For a "Go-To" jack used in the garage or driveway I would never depend on the $70 Harbor Freight jack, I use the Arcan XL35 like this:

Arcan Quick Lift Professional Service Jack - 3 1/2-Ton, Model# XL35 : Amazon.com : Automotive

On my second one in 20 years, first one lasted 18 and at $140 they are cheaper to buy than repair when the hydraulics pop (if you factor in your time).

The HF unit is advertised as a "1-1/2 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Jack with Rapid Pump" which would make it PERFECT for autocross or track days. Toss it into you trunk or trailer mounted tool box and it's lightweight enough snatch out use on an occasional basis.