Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

Why Are Black Holes Black

OK, please bear with me on this one. I noticed on the last post regarding light-speed etc. that there are actually a couple of guys on here that seem to get Relativity. It is to them that I am pitching this one.

If we imagine a bright object (say a star) that is trapped in the orbit of a black hole and slowly falling towards the event horizon and we are distant observers watching all of this... Would we not start to see time slow down for the star as it gets ever so closer to the event horizon? The change in time for us as observers would surely look like the star is approaching an asymptote since the passage of time of the star at the event horizon which we observe from a distance would stop altogether.

The natural conclusion I come to is that a "Black Hole" should in fact have a super-bright ring around it as we would see everything it ever swallowed in its entire existence due to time stopping at the event horizon for a distant observer. The objects being swallowed themselves would notice a stop in time of everything OUTSIDE the event horizon, including us, but we would see time stop for them at the event horizon.

Sorry to be long-winded, but I just don't get why a black hole should not be bright around the edge.

Anyone who sort of understands me, please correct my wrong hypothesis.

Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

If time truly stood still at the event horizon, any light would be stationary, since speed is distance travelled over time. Hence light would not propagate and you wouldn't see it. Indeed you wouldn't 'see' anything at all at the event horizon. Which is indeed what appears to be the case.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #3

So you are proposing a designation of Hot Pink Hole instead.

Steven Hawking just came out questioning the whole Black Hole, er, Hot Pink Hole theory
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #4

You guys collectively get into the ganja again? Maybe Stephen Hawking hooked up with Oprah?
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
If time truly stood still at the event horizon, any light would be stationary, since speed is distance travelled over time. Hence light would not propagate and you wouldn't see it. Indeed you wouldn't 'see' anything at all at the event horizon. Which is indeed what appears to be the case.
I think you nailed it. Yes, that makes perfect sense.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #6

Garage
Black hole is a star. Star so huge that its gravity traps the light

but shouldn't we discuss such a thing in different part of this forum. This is general 986 info
lets keep this clean
Posts like this are ruining perfectly good forum. No offence tho

Last edited by golonaus; 02-17-2014 at 04:06 PM.
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #7

Garage
I thought a black hole was a term used to describe Obama's presidency ?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Increase power to maximum......we're going through!!!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
You guys collectively get into the ganja again? Maybe Stephen Hawking hooked up with Oprah?
That would explain the part about no light getting in.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I thought a black hole was a term used to describe Obama's presidency ?
You mean black a-hole
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #11

Old 02-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #12

Old 02-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #13

uh ... light can't stand still - that's the premise of special rel - it goes at c regardless of frame of reference. that's why time slows - to make d= st work. it's the whole "what happens when i'm traveling at the speed of light and turn on my headlights" thing, just rephrased.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel R View Post
OK, please bear with me on this one. I noticed on the last post regarding light-speed etc. that there are actually a couple of guys on here that seem to get Relativity. It is to them that I am pitching this one.

If we imagine a bright object (say a star) that is trapped in the orbit of a black hole and slowly falling towards the event horizon and we are distant observers watching all of this... Would we not start to see time slow down for the star as it gets ever so closer to the event horizon? The change in time for us as observers would surely look like the star is approaching an asymptote since the passage of time of the star at the event horizon which we observe from a distance would stop altogether.

The natural conclusion I come to is that a "Black Hole" should in fact have a super-bright ring around it as we would see everything it ever swallowed in its entire existence due to time stopping at the event horizon for a distant observer. The objects being swallowed themselves would notice a stop in time of everything OUTSIDE the event horizon, including us, but we would see time stop for them at the event horizon.

Sorry to be long-winded, but I just don't get why a black hole should not be bright around the edge.

Perhaps that event only lasts a fraction of a second when light speed is constant then overcome by the black hole?
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel R View Post

while i am 16, i follow this and it makes complete sense to me. technically there should be a ring around black holes.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
OMG this hilarious.

I think this is the solution for all the starving Hollywood wanabe's

A people black hole that sucks in all the proto stars.

I guess it will draw in Corvette museums as well
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
uh ... light can't stand still - that's the premise of special rel - it goes at c regardless of frame of reference. that's why time slows - to make d= st work. it's the whole "what happens when i'm traveling at the speed of light and turn on my headlights" thing, just rephrased.

Yes, except that breaks down in a hypothetical scenario where time is standing still.

Think the reality is that time doesn't stand still and nor does light. But if time did stand still light simply has no velocity since velocity is distanced travelled over time and in that scenario there is no time.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #18

the better argument might be that the process that creates the light (fusion) slows as time slows.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #19

Garage
Or we could all just drive our cars before the black holes get us

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote