986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   HOTTUNING USA coilover kit (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49536-hottuning-usa-coilover-kit.html)

golonaus 11-20-2013 08:56 PM

HOTTUNING USA coilover kit

just found this Coilover :: Coilover Kit Porsche Boxter -
anybody using them?
I read bunch of vw owner reviews and it seems to be great product for the price
at 700$ its a bargain

ganseg 11-21-2013 05:52 AM

Where are you seeing the VW reviews and it is a group that you have been around a while and trust? Haven't heard of cheap coilovers being good, but maybe. My first question is what weight are the springs; second question is corrosion resistance if you drive in winter.

golonaus 11-22-2013 07:17 AM

I talked to the Guy with 25k on them
Golf gti
No problemami so far and he's very happy with them

The Radium King 11-22-2013 08:18 AM

dude - they can't even spell boxster properly - what are the odds they put the time into engineering a product specifically for our cars. spring rates would be a big question. an inexpensive but proven coil-over option is the ksport unit; lots of info here on them and pretty cheap (compared to pss9) on ebay.

golonaus 11-22-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 373318)
dude - they can't even spell boxster properly - what are the odds they put the time into engineering a product specifically for our cars. spring rates would be a big question. an inexpensive but proven coil-over option is the ksport unit; lots of info here on them and pretty cheap (compared to pss9) on ebay.

You right tRK
Just fishing

Btw
I passed emissions with flying colors after SAI delete

The Radium King 11-22-2013 08:50 AM

I read that - sorry I got you worried on that issue, but there was a lot of info out there to the contrary. thanks for taking the lead and posting your results; I think it was a good learning experience for the whole community.

thstone 11-22-2013 10:05 AM

Inexpensive coilovers are just that. Some are crap but most are half-decent.

How well you'll like them depends on your expectations. If you expect them to replace your completely worn out stock shocks, they will probably suffice but they are not likely to last 100K miles like the OEM units. In a few years, they will be worn and need replacement. But if you only drive on the street and/or limited miles per year, this might be perfectly acceptable. And yes, this is why they might even be cheaper than OEM replacement struts. Sorry, no free lunch.

On the other hand, if you expect them to improve the handling like the M030 or PSS9 system, you'll probably be disappointed. The compression and rebound damping characteristics of cheap coilovers is well documented (all over the map) and fine tuning the suspension will be all but impossible.

With this being said, you'll find internet postings saying that a certain brand of cheap coilover is great and another posting saying that its crap - just depends on what the buyers expectations were.